ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GCC Clio Project 1...

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
Well here goes for a Clio project for me. Please forgive me the lack of pictures in the first post, I'll get that sorted as soon as I can get back onto a good phone that will allow me to upload them to Flickr...

It all started at the begining of the year when I was talking to @Valver16 about wanting another toy, of the car variety. We discussed a few options like me going back to the 205GTI scene again, but every time he talked me round to the 1*2 option and I couldn't argue my way out of it. I've driven his at least once, and been out in it a fair few times. The only rule was that I didn't want a silver one!!!
A few weeks pass and I decide I'm on a mission to get something. Had enough of not having anything I care about and enjoy drivng. I save my pennies like mad and in a week have half the money for the average 172 on the bay. Then....... This appears in the Cars for Sale section!! How could I resist?? (I know... It's silver!!!) At this price, even with the drive belt issue, it was a steal!! So I emailed @eighty_six and asked if I could come and see it at the weekend and go and get it the following week.
It was after a few emails back and forth that I discovered it was a little more than just a couple of hour round trip, so I arranged to go up and see it the following week. It was at this point I discovered I was the first to email by a long way.... A massive four minutes!!!
A quick order of an aux belt kit, and a bit of planning with Luke (valver16) and I'm set. Another bit of hard work for the week and I've got the rest of the money needed for the fuel, tax and car....

Road trip set, my oldest two boys in the back, and off we set to see it.
See it, like it (excusing the grill and wheels), and set about the drive belt change. Fault was complete failure of the tenstioner.
The job is all going well till the top tentiones bolt started to round off. A LOT of f**king about and it's discovered that a 16mm 12 sided socket will hammer over the outside flange of the bolt. This finally got the bolt out, and fortunately I had a bolt the exact size (incliding E fitment) to go back in the hole. All back together, and set off for home. Dephaser pulley rattling making it sound like a london taxi every trime I pull up to a stop... More reason to keep driving :)

Smooth and fun drive home, needless to say it took a little less time than the trip up there, even with a couple of stops for fuel/Red Bull/toilets.

So, home Saturday, quick first and last wash by the Poles on Sunday, followed by a "quick" clean by me on the Monday. Half a bar of clay later and I've got a good AutoFinesse sealant on and thin layer of wax. Smooth and soft to the touch paint. Clean and tidy (ignoring the wheels and grill still!!!)

Three weeks later and I've got the Cam Belt and dephaser done, again with @Valver16 . First F4R change we've done, but with a little learning along the way we're confident to go ahead and do another without any doubt. This one is running just as well, pulling just as well, giving just has good of a kick through the 5k range and is now silent of taxi-rattle-dephaser noise also!! Very happy. Cambet kit, dephaser, water pump, spark plugs and oil change all done at 95,242 Miles.

So... Why the reason for a project thread???
I plan on having this one for a while, I want to get everything right with this one and do it all one stage at a time. She will eventually become non roadworthy due to want, and as you'll guess just be a track toy. It feels almost naughty to pull apart a 182FF but at the same time it seems like a good place to start. She currently has a de-cat, full stainless, nasty wheels, back to standard grill, and everything else is completely standard.
I want to keep a record of everything for this one. I'll probably do little updates as and when I do oil changes and such just to keep the record of it here.
I have lots and lots and lots of plans and ideas, but I don't want to put up a dream list, so will update with the upgrades as and when I do them as opposed to making it all look a little too dreamy.....

So I'll get a pic or two up over the weekend if I can. It's nice to have something I actually enjoy driving and caring for, keeping clean inside and out, and wanting to get in... Also nice to have another loud pedal :)

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
Update::

Besides a fair bit of mileage I've been having a think about what's been causing the unsteady feeling when I'm braking hard. Car felt unsteady and like it was going to throw me off the road. I remembered looking at the rear discs and thinking the off side was a little too poor on contact.
So this weekend I've set about changing the rear discs and pads. Nice and simple. Only crap (Mintex) put on it for now as I'll worry about upgrades when I get that far.
I did learn a lesson in which way round the spacer goes on them though!! I learnt that if the spacer is going on the wrong way round then it can shatter!!!
Another quick trip down to Kelv and purchasing a spare and a replacement from him and the car is back on the road same day. Thank you once again Kelv!!
Another thing learnt is that the previous owner and their choice of wheels was clearly a while ago!! When I was putting the car back together it was found that the wheels caught on the calipers now that the callipers were "piston in" due to fresh pads!!! great!!!!!
Thanks to Luke I now have a 5mm spacer (I never thought I would put that in ANY thread let alone one of my project threads) which is enough to let the wheels spin without binding the calliper.
Callipers have lost the "lovely" red paint they had now, and the car is very steady under heavy breaking as she should be. Nice to have confidence in it once again...

Next on the list to buy is some standard wheels!!!!! Looking on here and the bay and other places so shouldn't be too long hopefully!!