ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GDI manifold /ECU / Cam Package write up

As some of you well know my 172 has had a bit for work done on it recently by the good people at GDI. Basically after having my car for a while I was a little bored with the performance and it was getting a little predicatable. Even without the traction control (Euro import). So after a few phone calls and arranging the car was booked into GDi to have the work done. The basic package included:

Billet High Torque Cam
Modified ECU to suit modifications
Modified Inlet manifold

On top of this the car was also to be used as a test bed for the new range of GDi exhaust systems. The car was dropped of with Andy and the team and i became the happy owner of a Laguna for a week or two while the work was carried out.

Eventually one cold evening I ventured up to Kimbolton to collect my new beastie, having delivered her to GDi with the exhuast in pieces and the car feeling rather second hand after a hard driving at bedford Autodrome I wasn't quite sure what to expect. The results however were simply amazing!!!!

GDI's hard work had lifted the cars peak power to 195bhp at 7500rpm and upped the engine rev limit to 7800 rpm. In addition the torque had gone up to 160 lbs/ft. The power delivery whch is usually 'punchy' at best was now super smooth and very linear. All the kicks and cough usually associated with a 172 had gone, and was replaced with a relentless surge to the red line. The in gear performance had improved massively. The car is also comfortable faster than a 182 and most other cars on the road in my area (but not as quick as steves bus :eek: ) The new power means, that the speeds i'd usually change up are much much high:

2 to 3 67mph
3 to 4 93 mph
4 to 5 the naught side of 120mph.

Whilst the car was in the cam belt was changed and a few other parts which had had their day were replaced too. This nugged the overall bill up some what, but I'm over the moon with the results I've now got. So a big thanks to Andy, Mark, and becky so being total stars and always putting up with my calls ans requests while the car was away.

A few pics:

P1050081Medium.gif

P1050092Medium.gif

S77CCP_003.gif

S77CCP_006.gif

th_S77CCP_012.gif

Last edited:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
cool, sounds really nice. look forward to the vid :D

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
one other thing - did your insurnace sting you much?

only got one other pic:

S77CCP_004.gif

As I've said before, this is currently a work in progess system. But it sounds the nuts.

Its the grade of Stainless steel used. Its usually a gold colour, but I haven't washed the car in a month or two.

ITB BG 182
hmmm... i can see myself more an more doing the same thing, i keep thinking about it but never really getting my arse into gear with it.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Says on GDI that torque should be in the region of 175/180 lb/ft, whereas you got 160 lb/ft - Any idea why that is?

Like the sound of what you have had done...Something i'll talk to Ben R about, or GDI...

Tys.

great stuff, only ever had positive dealings with Andy, Bex and Mark, they have done an excellent job on mine, deffo the place to go for Clio tuning imo!

john182rs - get your arse in gear and do it pal, you wont be disappointed, it's where all the quickest Clio's come from! ;)

Nippy white cup
great stuff, only ever had positive dealings with Andy, Bex and Mark, they have done an excellent job on mine, deffo the place to go for Clio tuning imo!

john182rs - get your arse in gear and do it pal, you wont be disappointed, it's where all the quickest Clio's come from! ;)

Cough ;)

okay, nearly all then Chris ;) lol

we need to have a rematch soon I reckon, wanna see what the difference is like now :evil:

Iv been e-mailing alan, im thinking of going down in june to have this done, hopefully i will be as happy as you with the results. Did u feels a big differance straight away?

ITB BG 182

Well if the gardening (self employed) picks up then ill womp all that cash in the savings account for the package that i want to buy although i was saving up for throttle bodies as a crimbo prezzy to mycar and myself.

Well if the gardening (self employed) picks up then ill womp all that cash in the savings account for the package that i want to buy although i was saving up for throttle bodies as a crimbo prezzy to mycar and myself.

that would certainly be a very Merry Xmas ;) lol

it's great, I'd not bother with a Clio now unless it had ITB's to be honest, the speed and noise is excellent

Yep, can't speak highly enough of the team at GDI. Its not just Andy, but Mark who is sound as a pound, and Becky whos always helpful and smiling. Excellent customer service!

I'd be pissed off if I paid so much money, and didn't get what was expected.

As long as you are happy I guess, and you can feel the difference.