ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gear Box - Grinding

Megane 225 Cup
Every time i hit about 4000rpm the gear box makes a slight grinding noise that dissapears after a couple of seconds, any thoughts on this, its been doing it for about a week, and although it makes absolutely no difference to the drive its damn annoying and lets face it - cant be healthy.

Anyone else experienced this?

Megane 225 Cup
its possible, although i can defo feel it through the gear nob, although only slightly.. its a really close together grinding noise...

NEED V6!
It's your centre section, the silencer is broken it happened to me i took it to renault for gear box noise or something and ended up being the silencer had broken from inside. They quoted £250 for new one I said "I rather get a new exhaust system", had the exhaust fitted problem fixed.

Megane 225 Cup
Well i have stainless steel exhaust sytem cat back... loose connection maybe.. i dont have the powerbox anymore?

1.2 16v Dynamique.
if its ok when moving off, going up and down the gears and not jumping out of any gears its probably ok. does it do it 3rd, 4th and 5th at 4000 revs or in one particular gear?

Last edited:
  Megane 225 Cup
Well it does the grinding sound in 1st 2nd and 3rd.. not in 4th/5th as far as i can tell.. i recon its ok... (hopefully)

1.2 16v Dynamique.
Well it does the grinding sound in 1st 2nd and 3rd.. not in 4th/5th as far as i can tell.. i recon its ok... (hopefully)
you could change the oil in it. if you do, make sure that the oil that comes out does not have any traces of metal swarf in it. there should be a magnet on the back on the back of the drain plug, hopefully that will be free of metal too.

clio 182 sport/
I had the same thing with my 182, it turned out to be the insides of the cat. I got a new one an everything was spot on again.