ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gear/clutch troubles

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Got a weird one for you all.

During rush hour today my daily 1.2 made a little bang and all of a sudden 1st gear was almost impossible to engage. 2nd was difficult but possible. All other gears were fine at speed.

I pulled over briefly to check things over. With the engine off, the gears all felt fine and engaged fine. But when I started the engine there was a slight friction noise. When engaging gears (with clutch full down) the friction noise got louder.

When I got home I jacked up and crawled under the car to find the gear linkage felt loose and wobbly (not sure what it should feel like). And the clutch cable is functioning properly with the lever at the front of the gearbox.

Anyways long story short, can anyone narrow down or offer advice on what it could be. My money was originally a sheared fixture on the gear linkage, but because of the friction noises in thinking it may be the clutch slipping.

Focus RS + S3
sounds like when my clutch on my 1.2 went, pulled off at a junction, a bang but not a loud in your face bang, more like a thud, the clutch pedal had less feel to it, and it slipped all the way home for 35 miles lol

try driving at really low speeds full throttle in 5th and see if it slips, or pulling off in 3rd with handbrake up

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Funny enough the problem has almost completely stopped. Slight noise with the clutch down but no where near as bad. Think you're right about the clutch going.