ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Crunch

1.2 16v Clio
For the past while my gearbox has been crunching into Reverse no matter what I do. If I am sitting dead stopped and clutch fully in for a couple of seconds it will still do it. Third does similar aswell sometimes as when I am driving it will be hard to find third and then it crunches slightly when putting it in gear?

Anyone know what this means?

clio 172 cup
mines same from 2nd to 3rd unless im really gentle..app its the synchro-meaning new box needed unfortunately

1.2 16v Clio
Wouldn't be down to a worn dog bone mount would it? I've read on here it can cause difficult and crunchy gear changes.

I have also heard a few commenting on this.. To be honest it has only started to happen since I got a new clutch put in meaning the gearbox has been dropped out to replace the clutch and since it was fitted again it has started crunching. Never once done it before :(

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Mine dos it when going into reverse but that's common with "lift reverse" cars AFAIK.

Try putting it into 1st then into reverse?

1.2 16v Clio
Mine dos it when going into reverse but that's common with "lift reverse" cars AFAIK.

Try putting it into 1st then into reverse?

Yea I have tried this too but it does not work :dapprove:

I am more annoyed at 3rd Gear really as I understand a lot of lift reverse petrol cars crunch going into reverse

330Ci (Fail)Sport
It sounds like the lower engine mount to me, aka the dog bone mount iirc.

I had exactly the same problems with reverse and third, since changing to powerflex bush kit (at JMS Tuning) I've not encountered the same problems. 3rd can be an issue about once every couple of hundread attempts but not sure if that's a different problem as it feels different to before and I've heard no one else complain of this. The bushes are worth the change IMO, really is much easier to engage gears now and they are relatively cheap too.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I think it was just the bushes I had changed on mine, uprated stiffness. Should be quite a bit about them on the search on here.

Be warned you may feel more vibration in the chassis/steering wheel on idle. Mine was completely unnoticeable though but others have said they can feel more vibration. Really glad I had mine done though, massive massive difference in changing to 3rd and reverse.

1.2 16v Clio
Right sounds better than what I am experiencing now anyway lol

So is there a particular name for these bushes? And exactly where are they situated just to know what to get?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Sorry mate, don't know too much else about it. JMS Tuning sorted it all out for me. Its just the bushes that go around the actual mount, big round purply-blue things. That's the best I can describe I'm afraid! I'm sure they've been mentioned quite a bit on the forum so a search should help.

S3, Polo
Just changed 3 of my mounts:

Top engine mount - £54 (ECP)
Top gearbox mount - £15 (ECP)
PowerFlex dogbone - £35 (LarkSpeed/ eBay)

Feels like a different (read: better and more 'solid') car - all for ~£100!

You managed to get an upper engine mount from Euro Car Parts? I rang them a couple of weeks ago for one and I was told they don't stock them :S Woman I spoke to did seem pretty clueless though.

Chelsea tractor

Just because it feels more solid doesn't mean that it will cure the "crunch" ;)

S3, Polo
You managed to get an upper engine mount from Euro Car Parts? I rang them a couple of weeks ago for one and I was told they don't stock them :S Woman I spoke to did seem pretty clueless though.

Yep!

ECP Part #: 337745060

:)

1.2 16V Dynamique
I remember once I took my car into a garage (think it was Renault's Evans Halshaw in Aberdeen near Altens) and asked, when they were carrying out other work, if they could check to see what the deal was with my reverse, as I'd mentioned to them I was getting some crunching going into reverse. His answer was to just take it slow basically. My advice is this. Make sure the car is stopped, pause for a bit. Shift it horizontally right across, AND PAUSE, before SLOWLY sliding it into reverse. Sometimes I've no problem, other times I've to go slow. I doubt I've got a problem with this "synchro-mesh" thing as it's very rare. I'm currently working as a driver/valeter for Europcar (driving some nice cars too!) and have noticed with a lot of VAG cars (which have a push down reverse) or cars that have direct reverse, there is no problem with crunching, except if you're still moving forward trying to find that gear.

Sorry for my long winded response. Hope that sheds some light on it from my experience.

Smye