ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox crunching into 2nd

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Okay so for the Astra, not strictly a Clio but a gearbox is a gearbox I guess and this forum is great for help :)

Had a new box fitted in the Astra, and the new one crunches into 2nd when cold? It's fine when its warm, just when cold it crunches? The box is brand new, only just fitted. Before it was fitted there was/were NO problems with the car and any gear changes.

Going to VX tomorrow, talked to them before about it and they couldn't fault it (obviously as the car is always going to be warm when I get there!) but I am not sure what to suggest they try? Winding me up! Can't be the new box is done already surely?! It's brand new!

FF Clio 182
Sounds like wrong viscosity oil was used. Too thin when cold. Try dropping the oil and using what the book says.

Not a Vauxhall person so sorry I can't be much more help

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
I assume being a VX garage that changed the box they'd know what oil :confused: I need to talk to them and see what they say TBH. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas before I talk to them on what it could be. Seems weird with a new box, do you have to adjust the linkage etc?

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
I wouldn't assume that at all to be honest mate.
Fair enough actually they do seem a bit useless sometimes! Will have a talk with them tomorrow and see what they say. It's only 2nd though and only when cold, 10 minutes later it's fine :( Only a tiny crunch too tbh just a knock of the gearstick and a bit of a crunch sound. Problem is as well its warm in 10 minutes and the noise goes, and VX is probably 10 minutes and a second away!