ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox gone?

Clio 182 , AX VTS
Hello, i think i have a gearbox issue but i hope you can tell me i'm wrong because i dont want to have to buy a new one, anyway here goes:

driving along i started to hear a knocking sound but only above around 30, at first i thought it was a driveshaft but it doesnt get any louder when i corner infact theres less noise when i corner. I put it on axle stands and put it in gear and it only seems to do it in 3rd and above. It will be silent for a a few seconds then knock for a few seconds then silent, then knock etc. Ive checked the top mounts and the engine mounts and while there is some play in one of the engine mounts it doesnt seem to be enough to be this. Ive jacked it up a side at a time and both together and it is both sides thats why thought it more likely to be the gearbox rather than both driveshafts going at the same time. the only thing that has changed recently is that i changed to eibach prolines although the drop is very slight could this have put extra strain on the driveshafts if they were already on their way out?

thanks

Dodgy one
Gearbox wouldnt knock it'd crunch and youd be having problem getting gears, Have you checked the hub pinch bolts, rear shock bolts and wheel bolts, To see if they have worked loose. Changing to prolines wont cause anymore stress on teh driveshafts as they only lower by 10mm or thereabouts

Clio 182 , AX VTS
the wheel bolts are fine i havent checked the hub pinch bolts but why would the rear shock bolts have an effect if the noise is at the front? i'll check the hub bolts next

Dodgy one
the wheel bolts are fine i havent checked the hub pinch bolts but why would the rear shock bolts have an effect if the noise is at the front? i'll check the hub bolts next

It wouldnt no harm in checking them though to make sure they havent worked loose if you've recently swapped the springs over, could save you a bit of hassle in the future

BMW M135i
Gearbox wouldnt knock it'd crunch and youd be having problem getting gears, Have you checked the hub pinch bolts, rear shock bolts and wheel bolts, To see if they have worked loose. Changing to prolines wont cause anymore stress on teh driveshafts as they only lower by 10mm or thereabouts
It will if somethings come(ing) loose and moved around the box casing.