ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox has Unquenchable Thirst…

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I’ve got a 172 ph2, 85,000 miles.
I knew it was weeping gearbox oil from the selector seals but the box has always been fine - never had a reason to worry. It’s not really been used properly in a good year since before Covid, so I decided to top up the oil. I found the plug on the front of the gearbox, and I used a syringe with a decent length id flexi pipe on it.
Now so far I’ve put 2 litres in and it’s not trickling back out of the hole yet.
What horrors await me now? I’ve checked and it’s not coming out the bottom. Like I said I’ve never had gearbox issues I just wanted to stay on top of it.
Is it just a case of putting more in? Is there a way I can do this wrong?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Does the flexi pipe fill the hole totally? I ask cos the bit of garden hose I use does, nothing leaks out then you pull the hose out and it feels like about double what you've added drips out!

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thanks all! Will keep at it. I took it out tonight for twenty minutes and it was sweet as a nut.
The tube in using is maybe 5mm OD so no chance it’s blocking the way.