ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox i beleive :/

Monaco 172
Ive had a slight humb from the gearbox area for a while now but lately its got alot louder but extra loud when turning right, i took it to a garage and he gave it a check over and said it was somthing to do with the cogs in the back of the box :s made no sense to me. Anyway he recommended i get a new box so ive had a look and from what i can gather there is a 129 and 130? But how do i no which one i have? Its a 2003 172

Monaco 172
Um the dogbone mount is fine but i havent checked the other under battery, i replaced it with the solid ktec one just over a year ago.

Monaco 172
At first i thought it was a wheel bearing but that checked out as being fine :( he jacked the one side up and put it in 4th and let the wheel spin and listened for the noise i beleive :s

2003 172....shouldn't have a speed sensor hole in it...
(aka .... Speed read from abs)

Any 172/182 box will fit,

Ph1 box has longer gear ratios...(jc5 089)

182 gearbox is code jc5 130
There's something done to the 182 boxes that they don't blow the dif cir clips.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
A JC5-130 isn't that expensive, £100-£200 depending on mileage,
it's the labor that cost you, unless you're handy with the spanners.

Monaco 172
Ok thanks ive found one from cliospares on ebay for £300 but thats with 3month warranty so il give them a call tomorow thanks :)

Monaco 172
Cheers mate il drop him a pm :) i read alot of horror storys about people buying boxs and them being pants so the warranty is appealing lol

Mondeo TDCI 130
Knock or hum? Are you sure it isn't a wheel bearing?! The noise would alter turning the steering while moving normally?

Monaco 172
Its most definately a humb but it gets extra loud when turning right, he did check the wheel bearing and all seemed fine :(

GSXR + KDX220
Really sounds like a wheel bearing, even though you pointed out it's been checked.

Drive along decent road at decent speed, just load up the left wheel,on and off,by turning right a little and straightening up, and repeat. Obviously check there's no traffic about ;)

If it hums as you load the wheel up,it really sounds like a wheel bearing. Did he actually check all of them?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Best test for a wheel bearing is to jack the car up. Put your hand on the spring and spin the wheel. Exactly like this chap. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzB-V8CrSn8

my gearbox hums a little. It was rebuilt with new bearings and still does it. Hasn't got worse.

Leave it until it breaks or gets very bad

Monaco 172
I done the whole load the wheel up this mornin by doing a little weav and its deffo only when im turning right the more i turn the louder it gets, just a constant drone!

it only sounded like it was comming from the left hand side so he done the whole wheel wobble side to side malarky. I think il go to another garage and get a second opinion and go from there :) then wait till it brakes and buy box and clutch and save myself some hastle.

Monaco 172
Umm wel i didnt while driving no but he also didnt when i asked as i was rather sure it was from the front, i think my best bet is to get a second opinion, il pop over another garage tomorow where the owner has his own 182 so he may stand a better chance of finding the problem than the other garage.

172/B8 Quattro
If your box does go then IMO it's better and safer rebuilding it as you never know with secondhand boxes as could be fine on 1 car but break on another, just pot luck IMO.
And only costs around £150 plus labour if you find a decent builder, this way you know it's right