ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox issues - advice needed

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
The issue is on a mk2 1.2 16v Clio.

When starting the car on a morning, if you try to put it in reverse you can hear it crunching. However, if you put it in 1st and then put it in reverse it is fine.
Any ideas why?

Also I am quite concerned as it has started to feel like it won't go in any of the gears smoothly.

Thanks all

Clio 182 sport
mine is clunky at times in reverse and 3rd ... im not as clever as the other guys on here but in my experience ive had this before with a saxo vtr and it was down to gear selectors then,however struggling in every gear may be someone worse clutch/gearbox ?? .. im sure youll get the correct answer in a bit though from one the of the experts :)

Sell me your 197
My 172 always did that. Did another 120,000km's on that gearbox before a knobend T boned the car and wrote it off.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers lads.

Clutch was replaced last year so can't / shouldn't be that!

Gear stick does have play in it. Could that be selector? If so, I'm not even sure what part I would need and how easy it is to replace.?