ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox mount

Honda & VW
Right i have searched before anyone nags at me lol

If i'm getting a slight clunk noise when pulling away hard in first which i read is likely to be the gearbox mount?

If pull away normally it makes no noise at all, is it a desperate case of getting the mount changed/uprated or will it be fine for a fair old while yet?

thanks

It could be any of them to be honest, does the gearstick shake around alot when you accelerating hard? if so that'll be the lower engine mount (dogbone mount).

When I had alot of knocking on hard acceleration it was my upper engine mount, that's the one you can see straight away on the drivers side.

Honda & VW
It could be any of them to be honest, does the gearstick shake around alot when you accelerating hard? if so that'll be the lower engine mount (dogbone mount).

When I had alot of knocking on hard acceleration it was my upper engine mount, that's the one you can see straight away on the drivers side.

gearstick doesn't appear to move but i haven't really looked out for it tbh.
may look into changing/uprating both when the time comes.

Whisker biscuit

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Flamer
This is currently happening to me and its a pain in the arse :mad: Are you getting it at the top of the revs and the odd time at the top of 2nd ?

330i. E30 Touring.
Sounds like the upper gearbox mount to me.

Make sure it's tightened up properly.

OEM mount is fine for replacement, imo.

As mentioned above, you're probably best replacing all 3 of them (upper and lower engine mounts and upper gearbox mount). Also check the exhaust mounts, my centre exhaust mount was shagged and that caused knocking as well.

Honda & VW
As mentioned above, you're probably best replacing all 3 of them (upper and lower engine mounts and upper gearbox mount). Also check the exhaust mounts, my centre exhaust mount was shagged and that caused knocking as well.

Cool, exhaust mounts are fairly fresh on. cheers

i'm getting confused, how many engine and gearbox mounts are there?

There's 4 in total but the lower gearbox mount isn't normally a problem, not heard of them being replaced frequently anyway.

It's the upper and lower engine mounts and the upper gearbox mount that are normally the trouble causers.

Honda & VW
is it best to change the upper gearbox mount first to see what difference i see, then if the problem/sound persists continue with the rest?

is it best to change the upper gearbox mount first to see what difference i see, then if the problem/sound persists continue with the rest?

That's what I've done so far, upper engine mount, then uprated the dogbone mount and I plan to do the upper gearbox mount soon. Upper engine mount is the most expensive out of the 3 though.