ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil leak........

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
..............seems I have a leak which I assume is gearbox oil - very strong smell when driving and difficult to engage into 1st gear when engine is cold.

What are the likely scenarios?

Many Thanks

BMW M135i
Well you'll find that they don't like 1st gear when rolling when cold, it should become much easier when its warm. Its probably leaking from the selector like they all do, it shouldn't be a problem but it shouldn't be leaking enough for you to smell.

You need to get under the car and see where its leaking from and how much really, also checking the gearbox oil level through the fill/level plug on the front of the box too would be an idea to see how much its lost.

titanic killer
bmh.01 when filling the gear box what type/sort of tube/pipe is best for getting in the filler hole??

"Navy" N17 TWO
At the minute mine is in the dealers having the gearbox stripped to have new seals put in, and a radiator replaced due to a seal gone in it too.

Told them about the "common leak" with the selector and they said they would sort it out anyway. Good job I've a warranty!

Ph1 172
There is a guide to changing the gearbox oil.

I did it slightly differently: undo the filler hole, which is a pain to get to. Rather than pi**ing around trying to poke spouts in there and so on, on top of the gearbox is a plastic cover thingy about 3cm x 4 cm. Unclip the top of it which uncovers the breather hole for the gearbox. You can fill it through there. The oil I had came in 1L bottles with a pointy spout, I found I could prop it up with the tip in the plastic cover and the oil slowly drained out the container into the hole. I went away had a cup of tea and the bottle was empty - just did that 3 times :) When it is full it comes out the filler hole as normal.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Just had it looked at by the chap I bought it from and he said it is leaking where the shaft enters the gearbox and hence needs a new seal. Any ideas on the part number and approx labour hours?

Thanks for all your help.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
I spoke to my mechanic today and he suggested that the seal is fitted - any ideas of the part number?

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Another thought - does anyone have a pic of N/S suspension setup as wondering if this may be covered under my warranty.

Thanks

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
to do the seal your have to strip the gearbox, because you have to put the seal in from the inside of the box, as the end doesnt come of the gearselector. So basically you need a gearbox rebuild to sort the leak at the selector shaft. not an easy job trust me.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
I'm confused, the guy who had a look is an expert with Renault 5's (he set the setup is very similar) and said the job would be fairly simple?!

He seemed to think it was a case of getting the seal and shaft and fitting.

Any pics would be handy as I have not seen how these are setup.

Thanks.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
I'm not too sure, I think its where the shaft enters the box - is the passenger side almost like a sealed unit unlike the opposite side?

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
lol, I had a yellow Ax GT5 and an Ax GT cabriolet. Due to house / child / job had to upgrade!

Who is this by the way!?

Thanks for all help - just need part numbers for shaft / seal and I can get the bits and job done - no more smelling of darn gearbox oil!!

rsc

renaultsport clio 182 cup
lol, I had a yellow Ax GT5 and an Ax GT cabriolet. Due to house / child / job had to upgrade!

Who is this by the way!?

Thanks for all help - just need part numbers for shaft / seal and I can get the bits and job done - no more smelling of darn gearbox oil!!

did your brother work in paignton zoo
did your reg used to be a5xgt or something like that if so
do you remember breakwell when we used to hang out in the gravel carpark near ocean drive who used to have a red e reg axgt
if so im his mate stu remember me??????????????