ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gearbox oil leak

there appears to be some fluid loss from the gearbox, and looks like it is coming from where the left-hand driveshaft meets with the box. is it possible to remove the driveshaft oil seal on its own, or is it non-renewable (ie will i need a new driveshaft?).

they all leak from here. Yeah you can get a new gaiter.

Or you can loosen the bolts and trun the gaiters so it leaks a bit less. Bear in mind its sittign in box oil here.

yeah i thought about that, but it looks like it has been leaking for a good while, so ill prob drain the box and refill it. is it just the gaiter, so i dont have to buy a whole inner CV? but i assume still shaft out job to fit it?

btw cheers for your help chris, been spot on with all my qs!

aye shaft out job to replace.

Go to a factors and buy gear oil, halfords will rape you.

Gaiters a daft price from ren though.

just looked up the gaiter change in haynes, you need a press tho for the bearing in the gaiter right? are there any home ways for doing this, or is a trip down to the garage for just the press needed?

If the shaft has ever been changed its quite possible the gaiter bolts have been overtightened and one has stripped causing fluid to (eventually leak)

I had that on my old 16v, while replacing the shafts i helicoiled the casing and never had a problem after that...