ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil leaking?

Clio 172 Cup
Hi folks!

Noticed today I have gearbox oil leaking from my Clio 172 Cup. Can't really see where it's coming from. The drain key is tight. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem and knew where abouts the leak is and knows a way of stopping it? The oil is pretty fresh.

Car is a 73k Clio 172 Cup. Has had a recent driver's side driveshaft.

Lionel Richie
factory feautre that they leak LOL! we've done LOADS on passenger side inner CV kits recently, unfortunatley the seal kit for the gear selector is no longer available from Renault, but i'm in talks with the manufacturer at the moment

Mk2 1.4 s
i had oil leaking from both the engine and gearbox plugs got 2 copper seals from gsf for 60p also give me a good excuse to change the oils and filters

Clio 172 Cup
factory feautre that they leak LOL! we've done LOADS on passenger side inner CV kits recently, unfortunatley the seal kit for the gear selector is no longer available from Renault, but i'm in talks with the manufacturer at the moment

Yeah it could be from the gear selector. If you remember and find a cure for it get in touch!

Lionel Richie
well their e-mail address doesn't work, so you have to ring them up, no speaketh le english, so mutter through in French and they're going to send me a load over :D

120d M Sport

I've just discovered this issue on mine - it's dumped a load of cv grease and gearbox oil on the inside of my recently powdercoated alloys How much would this be to do at yours?

Cup In bits
How involved is this kit to fit, surely the selector rod has to come out in order to get a new seal in??????

120d M Sport
that's the outer CV that's gone on your Alex ;) about £5 to put a new clip on and refill the grease

Ooh happy days I'll come down and get this done. It is leaking from the box a bit though too so this made me wonder.

My only problem is getting down to you in the week as I don't get home from work til about 6.30

I fitted mine nearly 6 months ago and it hasn't leaked since, well not from the selector anyway.

Save me writing it i borrowed the how to from MWRS182;)

Drain gearbox.( heard it can be done without draining?)

Disconnect gear linkage at the end of the long rod coming form gear stick one 13mm(I think) bolt.

Remove circlip from gearbox and pull downwards the plastic ball socket to remove small rod.

Remove or cut the old rubber gaitor on the selector shaft, if you don't discard this part and reassemble with it on you will struggle to get reverse gear.

Remove bolt holding the spring assembly and remove spring.

Carefully prise old seal from gearbox, then cut it off, sharp cutters required. Be very carefull not to induce any burrs into the gear box shaft or casting.

Clean selector and surrounding components thoroughly.

Pull the 2 rubber o-rings over the selector and work them up to the shaft where the seal will eventually sit, I put a bit of grease on them to aid them sliding along.

Clean again.

Put the 2 half circle plastic parts over the o-rings to make 1 complete unit. Then using the plastic shim supplied push the assembled seal all the way up into the gear box, I used a couple of large spanners as levers, work your way around gently do a little bit at a time and make sure it goes in evenly, If its all lined up you shouldn't need too much force.

Fit the metal retaining bracket supllied with new seal kit to the the spring bolt assembly and refit.

Then just stick it all back together in the reverse order of removal.

It comes with instructions although not the best, on the instruction sheet there is a link to the manufacturers website slightly more detailed instructions can be viewed there.

You will feel a firmness in the gearstick but this will return to normal over a period of a few weeks, mine did.

What price are you looking at selling them for Fred??

Cup In bits
Sounds easy enough, although that shift pins are fiddly to play with when the box is out, will be a mare upside down.

Yeah Fred, I'd be interested in 2.

LY FF182
Fred, did you get a price for these selector seal kits? Think I need one as the box is leaking from there after taking hard knock from some stupid shaped tarmac that jolted the whole car :/ How much would you charge to fit one?