ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil- Redline MTL or Elf NFJ?

As per the title really, I'm looking to change my gearbox oil along with a service and was wandering which of the 2 above people recommend? The MTL is a lot more expensive than the NFJ but is the difference in quality noticeable or will it provide a benefit to the box in any way? Any help is appreciated

Thanks for the reply oreA. Do you know why he recommends it? Hopefully he'll be along in a minute to tell me more!

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Do you know why he recommends it?
He repairs gearboxes (not just Clio ones), and considers the Redline stuff the best - through personal experience I believe.

I like to browse these forums out of interest 🙈, so I only know this from general reading, I'm not affiliated with him in any way, and am not on any kind of commission :smile:.

Have a search of gearbox oil and you'll bring up a few posts confirming this :up:.

E.g. http://www.cliosport.net/threads/best-gearbox-oil.793423/

& http://www.cliosport.net/threads/preferred-gearbox-oil.802853/

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for the reply oreA. Do you know why he recommends it? Hopefully he'll be along in a minute to tell me more!
It all comes from personal experience tbh mate. I've run it in a few highly stressed gearboxes, and they've all looked untouched when they'd been opened up for routine maintenance. I also look at the spec sheets for the oils and look at viscosities, temperature ranges etc. If the car is to be used on track, the mtl is what I'd always fill up with. If you're just going to use the car on the road, the elf stuff will be fine.

He repairs gearboxes (not just Clio ones), and considers the Redline stuff the best - through personal experience I believe.

I like to browse these forums out of interest 🙈, so I only know this from general reading, I'm not affiliated with him in any way, and am not on any kind of commission :smile:.

Have a search of gearbox oil and you'll bring up a few posts confirming this :up:.

E.g. http://www.cliosport.net/threads/best-gearbox-oil.793423/

& http://www.cliosport.net/threads/preferred-gearbox-oil.802853/
Cheques in the post mate. Cheers. :up:

Why is it the best?
It's mainly because i work for redline mate. 😂

Obviously I'm joking, it's just from personal experience mate.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
How much more expensive is the Redline stuff? If I'd just paid for a 'box refurb, a few extra dollars for good oil has gotta be worthwhile?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
How much more expensive is the Redline stuff? If I'd just paid for a 'box refurb, a few extra dollars for good oil has gotta be worthwhile?
It's about £18 and you need 3 bottles. It comes as a us quart, which is just under 1ltr. 3 bottles is sufficient though.

It's about twice the price of Elf NFJ, not sure how much more it is than the Fuchs stuff.
The Fuchs stuff is around £14 for syn 5, which is a 75/90. Only other option would be the Fuchs sintofluid as it's a 75/80, but that's more roadcar biased.

Thanks for the replies. My car is only used on the road so am swaying towards the Elf oil. Out of interest if I ever did decide to do a track day would the Elf oil be okay for that too?

Thanks that gives me a bit more peace of mind. If I were to use the Redline oil in the box in a car for road use would that benefit it in any way or would it help extend the life of it at all? Could the difference be felt in the quality of the shift?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks that gives me a bit more peace of mind. If I were to use the Redline oil in the box in a car for road use would that benefit it in any way or would it help extend the life of it at all? Could the difference be felt in the quality of the shift?
Well it would only be worth filling with redline if the box has had a refresh tbh mate. It'll protect the box a lot better than the elf stuff.

Oh ok, the box is still standard and very smooth with no crunches. I'll probably end up going for the Redline if it offers better protection. Can I ask how it offers better protection?