ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil seal leaking

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Hi,

Need some advice on a leaking oil seal thats sits between offside driveshaft and gearbox, I have already changed the seal twice now and still it leaks. Is there a tool that I should be using to replace it?

Thanks,
Richard

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 179

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
From what I've been told, they all seep oil and it's an expensive job to replace all the seals. Chances are it'll start seeping again 6 months down the line so I was told to leave it if it's not leaking a lot.

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Would it not solve the problem by replacing the driveshaft as well as another seal? I did see another member post up a similar problem and it happened to be an o ring missing.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Check that the driveshaft collar is not touching the seal. You need some clearance, and looking at the picture your boosted, so the drivetrain will move more than a n/a one.
Are you running solid engine/gearbox mounts?

330i. E30 Touring.
Re seal to replace, I used a roll of electrical tape to ensure the seal didn't get damaged, then used a light hammer to tap it in square.

Hmm, not sure a little rubber o ring would be that effective.

Either way a new driveshaft seal is easy to fit, just make sure to lube it up well, and doesn't get damaged when installing, and also drive it in square.

Apparently it stops the drive shaft spline joint from moving too far forward and running into the gearbox seal.