ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox or driveshafts

B

Bennyboy

My valver is making a rumbling sound coming from the front somewhere. The quicker you go, the louder it gets. I thought it was the wheel bearings so I changed them but the noise is still there. Gearbox changes gears fine and isnt leaking so what could it be? driveshafts?

DSs will add a sight clonk to the noise, and when you turn the noise will change.....grab a shaft and shake it hard, any play will indicate either bearing or shaft.

But check your bearings again, as a damaged carrier can kill a new bearing in nxt to no time!

Sounds ridiculous, but check the wheel bolts!

I had a rumbling from the front that was getting worse by the hour. I stopped to take the wheels off and have a look, and all 4 bolts on one side couldve been taken out by hand!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

if its a driveshaft i would have thought the noise would get louder on full locks.check your gaitors to see if they have leaked any grease.have you tightened up the 30m driveshaft nut up fully,they should be FT! does the noise change with engine load and direction of steering?

B

Bennyboy

Had a look at the driveshafts and they seem ok and it doesnt knock on full lock either. But..if i put it in gear and then try and turn the drivers side driveshaft, it seems a bit sloppy where the end of the shaft goes into the diff. If the outer diff bearing had gone, wouldnt it be leaking oil like mad?

Ph1 172, Mini 2.0l T

Could be worn crank, mine had a slight rumble which I couldnt pin point until I rebuilt the motor, whats your oil pressure like?

B

Bennyboy

Oil pressure is good and the engine runs as sweet as a nut. the rumbling/humming sound is exactly like a really badly knackered wheel bearing but Ive replaced them both so Im a bit puzzled..

B

Bennyboy

Ive been told that it could be the diff bearing. Anybody know if youve got to take the gearbox off to change this?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

gearbox would have to be removed and completly stripped to remove the diff and change the bearings.

williams and trophy

try the roll pin in the driveshaft on the o/s ......i had this on my valver , the roll pin had come out where the driveshaft slides over the splines on the diff.get it up on axle stands n get it runnin n put it gear with the whels in the air, an get underneath n av a look

its the inner joint on the off side driveshaft

think mine had damaged the joint so badly that i had to get a new shaft..£130 from reno £35 from local motor factors