ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gearbox problem (ish)

172 Ph2 + Gashtravan
Hi guys. My gearbox on my 172 has the tiniest leak ever from the gear selector seal. However This isnt my problem. Ive just got home and went to check the oil/top it up if needed and the butterfly plug in the fill hole is stupidly tight. Any tips on how to undo them?
Thanks
James

172 Ph2 + Gashtravan
i know its not help full but other than that there is not a lot else to suggest, i wouldn't use pliers or grips as you might break it

Yea thats what im worried of. Its just a pain to get too aswell which doesnt help

172 Ph2 + Gashtravan
hey let me know how much oil its lost as i think mine may have the same problem

Literally the leak is so slow I didnt even notice it. I changed the oil about 7 months ago but it just started making a slight whine so I look and it appears to be leaking from the selector. I just wanted to open the fill hole ans check if its lost much. Juat cant get in to undo it

330i. E30 Touring.
Fiddly job to get to. Air box out and remove the clutch cable from the selector fork and I get my arm down that way.

You could use pliers, but as said you might break the wingnut. Then it'll be front bumper off and drill it out.