ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox removal help

I have a 2003 172 that I am trying to get the gearbox out of, I understand the best way is to take it out the bottom.
Im about to remove the subframe but from post that I have read here on clio sport is that the steering rack needs unbolted from the subframe and supported.
Could someone clear this up for me as I cant see where I need to unbolt from and there seems to be quite a few people getting steering problems after having the gearbox changed.
Any help appeciated

172/1.2/E30
if you have an engine crane, i would take engine and box out to the top at once. quite easy and no subframe off job!

Megane dci 130
Iv always done it like this...

Remove 13mm pinch bolt holding the rack to the collumn (normally under a rubber cone near to the bulk head) - If you dont do this you will get problems.
Remove ball joints from hubs
Remove 16mm nut from front engine mount
Remove two 13mm bolts from subframe uprights (left and right)
Remove 4 18mm bolts holding subframe to body.

Lower the frame with the rack slightly. You will now be able to get to 4x holes at the back of the subframe near the antiroll bar. Undo the 4 16mm bolts holding the whole rack assembly to the frame.

Then lower off the car dissconecting various wires.

Yes that was a great help.
Just need to find a JC5-130 gearbox if anyone has one for sale.

Does anyone know how much a repair would be to 2nd gear synchro or have an idea how much an exchange unit would be?

Im tempted to strip it down and have a go at replacing the synchro myself but I dont think i would have to tools or experience.
Could someone confirm the gearboxes that would fit my car, obviously the JC5-130 and i understand from other threads that I could use the JC5-129 used in earlier models but just not using speedo sensor hole.
Is there any others?

I saw a gearbox on ebay from a megane and it says JC5-129 but without speedo and different ratios.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Megane-2001-2...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf59c3b8a

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
where is the 13mm pinch bolt ? im struggling to find it ? do i need to take plastic arch lining out to see it ?

Clio 182 full fat
Undo the 4 bolts at the back holding the steering column on instead of the pinch bolt and let it hang - I found this easier to do than undoing the pinch bolt!