ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox removal

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
So I'm needing to get the gearbox rebuilt on my 182 Cup, is it best to pull the engine and box out the top of the car, or drop the subframe and remove the box only out the bottom.

I've not got an engine crane, so would need to factor in renting one for removal and again for installing, so cost wise I'm favouring doing it from the bottom. But if it's a lot easier out the top then maybe the extra money is worth it for the time and effort saved.

Any further advise is welcome.

cp1991

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 197
You can remove the gearbox out the top without removing the engine. when i did mine i still had to lower the subframe slightly though. It is probably easier out the bottom as from the top you have to remove a lot of extra stuff to get enough space, coolant lines, wiring etc. I ended up removing the radiator and bumper to make the job easier. If removing the subframe be careful of the steering column and uj to not cause any damage, if belts are due or any other awkward jobs need doing might be worth hiring a crane, taking the engine and box out and doing all the other jobs whilst you're there.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Take it out the top and do the belts and clean everything up at the same time. You don’t often get the opportunity. By the time all the subframe bolts spin and you spent hours trying to ninja sockets into impossible places it’s probably faster too

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Unless you have a garage or a mate who wants to share a crane? SGS have them for very reasonable money!

I took mine out the top. I found it easiest to remove the slam panel, rad and disassemble the fuse box, that way all the engine bay wiring comes out with the engine.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
My requirements changed quite a lot yesterday, the Clio was going to be a slower project, I'd intended on cleaning things up and replacing bushes etc, and treating any rust and painting etc. So I'd have had time to remove the subframe and get it powder coated, etc. But my MX5 engine started knocking, and I'm contemplating making that the slower project now, rather than my daily. so installing a 2.5 litre engine, cams, manifold etc.

The Clio would need to be turned around quickly to become my daily again. So hopefully remove this weekend, get rebuilt and reinstall next weekend. Belts aren't due for another 2 years, but Aux is.

So with that in mind buying the SGS crane may be a worth while investment.

Obviously I wasn't looking to spend money needlessly, but by the time I've rented an engine crane 4 times, it'll be cheaper to buy a new one and sell it on afterwards if need be.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
My requirements changed quite a lot yesterday, the Clio was going to be a slower project, I'd intended on cleaning things up and replacing bushes etc, and treating any rust and painting etc. So I'd have had time to remove the subframe and get it powder coated, etc. But my MX5 engine started knocking, and I'm contemplating making that the slower project now, rather than my daily. so installing a 2.5 litre engine, cams, manifold etc.

The Clio would need to be turned around quickly to become my daily again. So hopefully remove this weekend, get rebuilt and reinstall next weekend. Belts aren't due for another 2 years, but Aux is.

So with that in mind buying the SGS crane may be a worth while investment.

Obviously I wasn't looking to spend money needlessly, but by the time I've rented an engine crane 4 times, it'll be cheaper to buy a new one and sell it on afterwards if need be.

Plus the travel etc. Think they are £200 so not terrible. Make sure you get one of these too:

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Just drop it out the bottom. Much less faff

I've been looking at this a little more tonight, and whilst I'll need an engine crane for my mx5 engine at some point. It seems like it possible to pull the gearbox out the passenger side wheel well. Just need to remove the hub, and disconnect the ARB to create the room. Don't even need to lower the subframe

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I've been looking at this a little more tonight, and whilst I'll need an engine crane for my mx5 engine at some point. It seems like it possible to pull the gearbox out the passenger side wheel well. Just need to remove the hub, and disconnect the ARB to create the room. Don't even need to lower the subframe

You definitely need to lower the subframe.
Basically, undo pinch bolt on rack, remove nearside subframe bolts, fully loosen drivers side bolts.
Remove hubs both sides, disconnect ARB, remove shocks as it's easy to. The whole lot then wiggles out the passenger side

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Take subframe off and box straight out, fast and easy to do.

If still on original hpas, unbolt the steering rack from the subframe and tie it up leaving the pipes connected, as the pas pipes are a nightmare to undo

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
I removed my gearbox a couple of years ago. I read loads of posts about being able to lower the subframe a bit and then manoeuvre it out of the passenger wheel well. I seriously struggled with that. The gearbox is heavy. Trying to manoeuvre it anywhere whilst laying on your back is really difficult.

I eventually removed the whole subframe. I should have made that my plan from the start.

I think if I had to do it all again I’d probably remove the engine and gearbox as one unit with an engine crane.

I hope it all goes smoothly for you. Keep us up-to-date with how it all goes and what method you choose.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Box out the bottom is a piece of piss

2-3 hours on your own

1616924468704.png

1616924357195.png

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
100% drop the subframe. By the time you've lowered it a bit you're as well removing it altogether.

Taken an engine out the same way as well when I didn't have an engine crane. That was a laugh on my own.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
You definitely need to lower the subframe.
Basically, undo pinch bolt on rack, remove nearside subframe bolts, fully loosen drivers side bolts.
Remove hubs both sides, disconnect ARB, remove shocks as it's easy to. The whole lot then wiggles out the passenger side

How do i undo the pinch bolt on the rack? i can't see anything and struggling to remove the rubber cover from either inside or under the car.

Do you really need to disconnect the arb and drivers side shocks if just dropping the passenger side enough to side the gearbox off the engine?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Do it from the drivers arch with a 13mm. A ratchet spanner is perfect. If you cant see it turn the wheel 90 degrees at a time until you can.

I leave the arb on as I also leave the wishbones on. Pop the track rod ends out the hub and take the shock bolts off.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
How do i undo the pinch bolt on the rack? i can't see anything and struggling to remove the rubber cover from either inside or under the car.

Do you really need to disconnect the arb and drivers side shocks if just dropping the passenger side enough to side the gearbox off the engine?
You need to disconnect it. I found it easy to undo iirc so I cant help unfortunately! Just persevere.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Do it from the drivers arch with a 13mm. A ratchet spanner is perfect. If you cant see it turn the wheel 90 degrees at a time until you can.

I leave the arb on as I also leave the wishbones on. Pop the track rod ends out the hub and take the shock bolts off.

This was maybe my issue, as was looking directly from the underside of the car and internally. I've had to disconnect the steering column to replace the rack on a CMax and the column on a mk2 punto and both times, these were disconnected from the inside of the car.

I've already popped the track rod ends off the hub, and the shock, but only on the drivers side. I was hoping to avoid removing too much.

However, i'm considering replacing all the bushes now it's all in bits and cleaning up the rusty wishbones, etc. whilst the gearbox is off being fixed. Assuming it eventually comes off that is