ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox replacement/repair options and opinions

2003 Clio 172
Unfortunately my 172 has developed some gearbox noise over the last week or so. It's whining slightly in 3rd, 4th and 5th, although it not too loud at the moment thankfully. I've just had the gearbox oil changed which hasn't made any difference so I'll be adding some lucas heavy duty oil stabiliser to see if that helps at all, although I don't expect much tbh. I'm resigned to the fact my gearbox is on borrowed time so am weighing up what to do with regard to getting it sorted. I'm shelling out next week for a full belts, waterpump and dephaser pulley change due to a leak from the camshaft oil seal, so money is a bit tight at the moment. From looking around a bit I've seen a fully reconditioned box with fitting and warranty for around £900, right the way down to a used box without fitting for around £150 or so. Obviously a used box may have or develop issues of it's own, however it would certainly be the cheapest option. Part of me thinks just drive the car until the box gives up then buy a second hand one to go in. I could perhaps then look at getting my existing one reconditioned when funds allow so I will effectively have a spare box. I'm hoping my existing box will last a while longer, albeit with some noise but who knows. Just looking for some advice really from people who have been through similar, as the 172 gearbox does seem to be made of chocolate.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I panicked when I first got my car, I had a crunch changing into 4th which turned out to be me being lazy and not depressing the clutch enough (it is a bit heavy tbf :tonguewink:), and the box kind of whirred in 4th gear. 2 years, 12k miles, and 6 or 7 track days and it's still going strong.

(Tempting fate a bit with this post though 😅).

2003 Clio 172
I'm hoping it's bearing related as mentioned as they do appear to go on for a while before giving up. It sounds almost like a cross between a whine and someone blowing into a metal pipe if that makes any sense. Seems loudest in 4th and 5th gear between about 40 and 70mph while accelerating. After that it either quietens down or is drowned out by my exhaust lol

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'm hoping it's bearing related as mentioned as they do appear to go on for a while before giving up. It sounds almost like a cross between a whine and someone blowing into a metal pipe if that makes any sense. Seems loudest in 4th and 5th gear between about 40 and 70mph while accelerating. After that it either quietens down or is drowned out by my exhaust lol
As soon as that whine gets loud it'll potentially be too late.

2003 Clio 172
As soon as that whine gets loud it'll potentially be too late.
That doesn't sound too good.
It isn't that loud yet thankfully, although it is definitely getting more noticeable. When you say too late, are we talking complete gearbox failure? I guess it really is a lottery how long it will last. Some people seem to get away with it for quite some time, but I'm assuming it's only going to get worse 🙈

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That doesn't sound too good.
It isn't that loud yet thankfully, although it is definitely getting more noticeable. When you say too late, are we talking complete gearbox failure? I guess it really is a lottery how long it will last. Some people seem to get away with it for quite some time, but I'm assuming it's only going to get worse 🙈
If it's the mainshaft bearing that's failing, if it gets to the point that it's physically moving laterally in the gearbox, there's potential for it to throw out one of the taper rollers. If it does it'll go through the box and destroy gear teeth along with all the other bearings. It gets ground down and acts like a fine grinding paste.

2003 Clio 172
If it's the mainshaft bearing that's failing, if it gets to the point that it's physically moving laterally in the gearbox, there's potential for it to throw out one of the taper rollers. If it does it'll go through the box and destroy gear teeth along with all the other bearings. It gets ground down and acts like a fine grinding paste.
Ouch. Would it be a similar scenario if it's the diff bearing? Sorry for my ignorance, but I know nothing about gearboxes.

dan's cast offs.
wait for the clattering noise and big pool of oil under the car :wink:

the ones i've seen have gone quite soon after they've got noisy.

2003 Clio 172
Looks like I'll be playing gearbox lottery until it fails and then hopefully source a reasonable replacement :confused:

PH2 172
Looks like I'll be playing gearbox lottery until it fails and then hopefully source a reasonable replacement :confused:

Whatever course of action you decide on, you need to check which box you have.
I suspect yours being 2003 will be a JC5-130 without a speedo drive, in which case you could also use a 129 or 089.
However if you have a 129 with speedo drive, that (or an 089) is what you are looking for.

I`m sorry to say that boxes do not come up for sale as often as they used to, so it would be best to obtain one before it becomes a necessity.

The speedo drive is clearly visible at the back of the box on a 129.
JC5 129 SPEEDO DRIVE 2.jpg