ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gearbox

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Mainly poor gear change(crunches or difficulty selecting gears) and excessive noise(a low rumble noise like a wheel bearing would indicate diff bearing wear and a more high pitch whine would indicate worn gears or shaft bearings).Whats up with yours?

Mine sometimes crunches when you select reverse, but never with any forward gear.

Could that be a sign?

Renault Clio 1.8 RSi

ben p, id guess thats only because reverse gear doesnt have a synchromesh?

Jay, I cant name any specific symptoms (noises etc) apart from:
1. 2 out of 3 times you try, reverse wont go in first time you try
2. Cant shift *down* to certain gears unless below a certain speed, eg: 1st- must be 0mph, 2nd- less than 10mph
3. Sometimes hard to pull the gearstick towards neutral from 3rd when downshifting to 2nd

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Reverse doesnt have a syncro so any crunching in reverse is not down to the gearbox.excessive crunching in reverse could be due to idle speed to high or the clutch not clearing properley.an occasional crunch is nothing really to worry about though.

if you change the oil looking for bits is a good sign or the oil being very silver in colour also a good synthetic oil will prob do the box a world of good anyway

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i would check your clutch pedal and cable.inspect the colour of your gear oil(presence of metal particles is not good) and change the oil.we use esso trx 75/80.

Suzuki SV1000S

Jay, Where abouts is the gearbox oil and what colour should it be (should it be like brown colour).

Asking because when I depress the clutch slightly on deceleration it makes a grinding noise hard to here but can just about hear it, Am paranoid about gearbox problems as my last one blew up (RT)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the gearbox has a drain plug(looks like a engine sump plug)on the underside of the gearbox casing near the diff.remove the plug for a few seconds to get an oil sample.remember to refill it afterwards though.there is a platic filler plug on the front of the gearbox(looks like a wing nut).top up the oil until it trickles out of the hole and refit the bung.gear oil colour is like a golden brown.from your explanation it sounds like the noise is from the clutch.try greasing the pedal mechanism/pivot points.

Suzuki SV1000S

Mate sounds a bit comp. Do you think you could possibly post some pics of the bits or explain where abouts they are, cheers!

it is the circlip on the diff, mine went you have to remove oil, drive shafts, then remove the circlip on the passanger side of box but without letting the diff drop and put a new one in might also need the preloaded nut in on the other side mine wouldnt select first unless i was stood still and wouldnt gear down into 2nd or 3rd very good 4th and 5th were fine i got quoted £180 to have mine done on a 16v, just put the engine in and was fed up of being dirty so i got a quote booked it in but drove it too much and the box gave way cost me ?£485 for a rebuild,

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

if the circlip pops out the diff centre is the only part that moves out of place but you do lose drive altogether.