ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearchange problem. Problem solving help required!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Hiya,

I'm after some input as to what this problem could be on my car.

Since I changed the gear-oil I've been having a problem selecting 1st and 2nd sometimes.

It will occur whilst moving or stationary, but not all the time. When I say it won't select 1st or 2nd, I mean I can apply a reasonable amount of force (by no means trying to force it in) and it will not engage. 3rd, 4th, 5th & reverse are all fine all of the time.

The problem can sometimes be avoided by pressing the clutch very hard, and then knocking the gearstick left, it will then easily select 1st, this suggests to me it's not the clutch, but I'm by no means a mechanic expert. When the problem has occurred, leaving the clutch down for 10 seconds before trying to engage the gear doesn't seem to have any help (i.e. giving the input side of the gearbox time to stop moving) which would eliminate the synchro no? Also would have thought this could suggest the clutch or something else related.

Whilst moving at speed it's almost impossible to select 1st without double clutching (this was the case on my DCI with 20k miles on though so figure that's just a JC5 thing), 2nd is usually alright when moving and when rev matching whilst moving there is no problem selecting any gear from any speed (within reason).

I literally cannot think what is wrong, I've checked engine mounts (gearbox mount is done up too tight if anything, but I'd done that a few months ago now and not had any problems unless it's just worn out after 3000 miles....) other than the lower gearbox mount, but I don't think that has room to move when the upper gearbox mount is on IIRC.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great as I can't pin it down and would rather avoid having to take it out.

#shouldhaveboughtgerman

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Quite possibly, it drove fine before I had it in the air though, I don't think it's oil related tbh, but I don't understand how it's just the engagement that's having problems.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Don't have the receipt on me but I believe so! Car's done 90k miles, I've only had it for 4k or so though.

Used the cheaper 75w90 in mine (most on here say it is ok) and should of used 75w80 - mine also 'stiff' going into 1st some mornings.

Golf GTD Mk7
can't see how oil type would affect it tbh. Are you sure you didn't know the linkage when undoing/tightening the drain plug?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
This seemed to fix itself, not sure what it was but had a play around with the lower gearbox mount (slackened the nuts and then retightened) the problem was still there but has since cured itself. Figured it just need to settle itself into position (it being the box) since it could have been the fact the engine/box was slightly out of line with the linkage causing problems selecting gears.

That's my best guess at least.