ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearknob sock trouble PLEASE HELP - REALLY ANNOYING!!

Arctic 182 & PB 172
So a few days ago i put the 182 into reverse and the gearknob sleeve thing popped off. The only clip that seems to be there is the at the front which still works but there doesnt seem to be any other clips that take to anywhere. I can clip it back on and it looks all good and feels firm until i go into reverse again and it pops right off again! PLEASE HELP PEOPLE!!

Arctic 182 & PB 172
But what is broken about this one...thats what i cant understand? It doesnt seem to have snapped anywhere...

Clio 172
Mines doing exactly the same. Clips are all intact and it clips back firmly into place. Put it in reverse or 1st and it pops off again. I've tried pulling the gaitor down and it just wont work

Arctic 182 & PB 172
Its pissing me off...anyone got any suggestions for where to get a replacement? Im looking on the web and not having much luck!

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Its pissing me off...anyone got any suggestions for where to get a replacement? Im looking on the web and not having much luck!

Search Ebay for "Genuine Renault Clio gear lever gaiter". Baldocks of Wivelsfield. I ordered myself one and collect it tomorrow because mine is doing the same.
My thought of why it's happening is the engine/ gearbox is moving slghtly due to worn mounts that I am about to replace and as such the gearshift is slightly out and broken the rear clip. (I'm no mechanic but it seems to make sense to me)

Arctic 182 & PB 172
Apparently this is quite a common problem. I think its more that the sleeve is pulled really taut in reverse so its just strain on the rear clips.