ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Get another 172....... or CTR

Porsche Boxster

right guys

i just can decide. my 172 got written off last month and now i have to decide wot to get.

Black ctr 2002 51 plate (warranty exp end of Jan)
A/C
FSH
MP3 headunit + 6 disc changer
29,000 miles
£9400

OR

Flame Red Clio 172 2002 52 plate (Warranty expires Nov 05)
12,000 Miles
FSH
All usual clio stuff + ESP
£7400

I have to decide by tomorrow morning! I have driven both, love em both but for different reasons. The only thing that does sway me a bit towards the honda is the fact that i cant stand renault dealers and lets face it, the clio isnt without its fair share of annnoying problems..... for example, the car i tested still has that annoying 1st gear clunk (only when ur pulling off. ie in nutral, foot on clutch, into 1st *clunk*...... seems fine if u put ur foot on the clutch for a few seconds b4 engaging the gear!) my old 172 did it...... as do other ppls on here. weird since i have driven other 172s that dont make the noise.

So what would u do? Sometimes i think i should just get the type r for a change of scenery, and really liking that whole vtec feeling.......... but then i really do love the clio cos its just like a little go kart! Also, i know the type r will hold its value much better come selling up time, but i wonder just by how much considering both cars r just so cheap!

Any help much appricated!
Cheers

Mike

Porsche Boxster

tbh, cant really justify in spending the extra on a 182. have driven it and cant really tell that much difference...... plus the 172 is just much better value for money at the mo.................i dont think i could find a 182 for 9.4k at any rate.

paul - thats wot my mum said lol.

ST

The CTR, better built for a start, it has FSH so no probs there, and that Vtec!

But the clio has less than half the mileage of the civic, is 2k cheaper and nearly a year of warranty remaining.

yeh but you can pic up 182s for around 10k, i just wouldnt get the 172 really, i would rather have the ctr, although the 172 is good value for money ??

9.5K for a 30,000 mile car that has to be driven flat out everywhere!?

Could buy my CUP with CC and 3700 miles for that.

having a good look as i parked next to a ctr in waitrose, theyre growing on me, but you said flame red and that is such a nice colour.

Go 172..

172 Mk2 personally

is the CTR worth £2k extra (other costs wont be that different ie depreciation)

Plus would you rarther have Honda build quality in an older car or a proper warently? I know Id go for the Renault ever time. People may rave about Honda but theyre not perfect.

CTRs are only really fully run in at 21k miles so I wouldnt worry too much about that mileage. You can also get a warranty extension at any dealer (prices vary so shop around).

Running costs on the CTR are a little higher (ins group 17) and a full tank of fuel (45 litres) lasts me between 160 miles if Im having fun and upto 350 miles on the motorway.

Dont also forget the CTR is way easier to extract BHP - a few choice mods can see you getting a good 30-40 in the midrange and 20+ at the top end without costing the earth. Or you can go nuts and get a supercharger conversion to get you 300 bhp odd for around 3.5k fitted.

CTR, thou I do love Clios! :oops:

You are right about the dealers, they are awful. I actually dred taking my car down to my dealers, surely it shouldnt be that way!

It terms of performance there isnt much in it, but as stated about the CTR it is easily tuneable.

At the end of the day, you have drove both, which do you like best?
Still cant decide? Which one is cheaper to run?

Cash not a problem? Cant help you then, or buy both!

Porsche Boxster

thanks for all the replies guys. you know its weird, i was expecting nearly a 100% clio vote (it being a clio forum an all) but most of you have said CTR..... All other people i have aksed (friends and family) have all said to me CTR, even thou it is an older car with more miles.

agreed the clio is cheaper to buy and slightly cheaper to run in terms of fuel consumption, but im not driving huge mileages. Insurance is about an extra £100 so again not a lot in it.

I dont have unlimtless amounts of cash - but im in the fortunate position of being able to afford a CTR........just! (couldnt afford one b4, hence the choice of buying the clio was easy!)

I enjoyed driving both cars - clio had more feel and always felt like a little minx to drive! CTR feels more grown up, esp when just pottering around, but give it some stick and the let the vtec kick in and it gives u just as many :D per mile!

evilowl - i noticed u own both u lucky sod!......... given a choice of keys, which one would u take if u had to pick? and why?

well tbh that CTR is 1.5-2k below what its actually worth (for reasons Im sure you aware of - if its the same car I think it is)

My (now ex) other half got her 172 back in 2002 so I have had 2.5 yrs of driving that round and racked up a fair amount of miles in both. Both have their pluses and minuses in different ways, but for the overall package you cant beat the CTR imho and thats what Id take the keys to everytime - the gearbox and engine are perfect

Id go for the CTR, Ive found tht owning a car that you have had before is never the same as the first.

Buy the CTR, enjoy owning something different, it may not be quite as go-karty as the 172 but its still an awesome machine.

Are these cars from a dealer? If so try and waggle on an extended warranty.

Porsche Boxster

thanks a lot for your comments everyone............ im now buying a ctr! raf the car is a private buy - i wish i could find one that cheap at a dealership. i just had the car HPI checked and its all ok. reckon its worth 11.5k from a dealer, so saving 2k buyin it private will do me. i think an extended warranty can be purchased for a few hundred quid if i wanted.

sorry about the wheels eves! ive been out numbered on here and at home as to which car to buy lol.

evilowl - im not quite sure what your talking about mate?! "well tbh that CTR is 1.5-2k below what its actually worth (for reasons Im sure you aware of - if its the same car I think it is)"?!- im buyin the car off of another person on the ctr forum. is that the same car ur on about!?

everyones got a ctr and they usually look like they think its the fastest thing in the world. my gf laughed at one the other day thinkin it was a boyracer bodykit very unusual for her as she isnt even interested in cars.. so if she thinks its mingin it probably is to all women.

btw thats not a good thing !!!

geta 172.

ctrs are for grannies with attitude, try going fast round a roundabout and see if you can feel what the wheels are telling you, not enough info to be safe or enjoyable, but if all you want is straight line speed and braging rights go with the japanoid IMO.

or poket the cash on fuel (40mpg) and save up for some mods that will give you some more poke.

btw compared with vectras and mondeos mercs and bmws the 172 is rare, the MKI even more so.

Porsche Boxster

loool at simon. very good mate. i agree, sometimes im not entirely sure on the looks of the ctr, but from some angles i think to myself "that is a tasty peice of kit"........ each to their own i guess......... anyway, ive pretty much told the guy now im buying his ctr. dont worry, im sure ill b back in a clio one day. hopefully a V6 hehe :devilish:

if looks dont matter go for the CTR.

fekin ugly.

how much list does a ctr cost ? 16.5K or sommat, you could have one of these for that money....

http://www.litimports.co.uk/subaru/images/large/my05_uk1.jpg

http://www.litimports.co.uk/subaru/images/large/my05_uk2.jpg

This is the updated 05 model with legacy dash and climate buttons, better sound deadening for the doors + few other nice uprated bits..

£16695 !!

btw i do know your buying second hand but for the price of a second hand CTR you could get an 04 plate WRX and they are not as common as the ctr is becoming, you just tend to recognise one every time you see one.

LOL at the auto though in this shot.

[Edited by cliotuRS on 29 December 2004 at 1:39pm]

Porsche Boxster

u know id really like a scooby but not too keen on the WRX. (dont like the back end)...... if i did buy 1 it would have to be an STI, or the old P1....... but one tiny problem and thats insurance.

althou my car was written off, my insurance company have said its an extra £400 for the CTR (policy expires in september + its one group higher at 17) which i think is pretty good as apparently they r well within their rights to just cancel my policy now and id be owed nothing back!

will b pickin up the ctr on saturday hopefully! :D

thanks to everyone who posted on here! its been a really great help.