ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting Into Racing - Advice?

Swift Sport
The opportunity has arisen to race in the BARC Max5 Championship. Given my personal circumstances I don't really consider myself eligible to become a racing driver, but it is something I've always wanted to do and this is potentially going to be far cheaper than any other route into Motorsport.

I'm here to ask advice on the in's and outs of racing, mainly the costs and hoops I'd have to jump through before I can hit the track. I'm having a hard time justifying it but I can't help thinking I'd look back and regret it if I didn't.

Step one appears to be buying an MSA 'Go Racing' starter pack for about £100 quid. Then I'll need to have a medical and do my ARDS, even though I don't know what that is exactly?

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Started racing last year so hopefully I’m up to date on it ?

Your right step one is getting your go racing pack. Then Ards test has two parts. A driving test. I was probably going 50% pace. Keeping on line and concentrating on brake markers the examiner points out. Really nothing to worry about. Second part is a theory test. Has a multiple choice section and a section on flags. Essentially just tests your knowledge you should get from the yearbook(blue book) and the dvd you get with the go racing pack. I did mine at Mallory with the Motorsports School. Great bunch of guys really relaxed and friendly. I can’t remeber exactly what this cost but I think it was less than £200.

Think the cost of racing is what you make it really. Rob and I both race in Tin Tops with CSCC. Entry is around 400 this year I think per weekend. You have to join the club and register the car for the series which is something like £150. That’s quite normal as you will always have to pay to join a club. Probably use something like £70 of fuel if that. Bit of food/beer money. Cheap hotel.

Car needs a bit more. It’s all in the yearbook which is available online. But extra attention to Power kills/extinguisher/tow eyes/seat/harness/cage/rain light/transponder etc. Cage is obviously going to set you back a fair bit. Others can be done on the cheap.

You will need more gear. Helmet that meets the regs. HANS device. Race suit/shoes/gloves/balaclava. Sky’s the limit with how much you spend on this. But your probably looking at least £5/600 on this gear.

Even in the “budget” form of club racing yes it is a bit expensive but it’s brilliant. My short time so far has been great. Nice bunch of guys, friendly paddock atmosphere and competitive racing.

Hope this helps ??

Swift Sport
Cheers for the advice!

I don't have to buy a car... I'm going to be sponsored, although I will have to sort my license and safety gear out myself. Once all the boring formalities are sorted it shouldn't be too painful on the pocket.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Cheers for the advice!

I don't have to buy a car... I'm going to be sponsored, although I will have to sort my license and safety gear out myself. Once all the boring formalities are sorted it shouldn't be too painful on the pocket.

Absolute no brainer then. You wont regret doing it.

Rob Quantrell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I’m in the same boat this year. Just picked up a 182 in full race spec. ARDs booked for Feb. Can’t wait!

@Sam Linssner whats the CSCC Tin Tops like in a Clio? Are they underpowered or can they hold their own?