ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting Rid Of PAS

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
With doing a massive clean up of my engine bay; hiding the loom and moving the ecu, fuse box and battery , ill be left with the power steeering pipers now. Has anyone got rid of there PAS for a manual rack. ? Also less drag on the engine .

thoughts ?

Ben

LY FF182
I'd love to have a go in a Clio with no pas.. Would help me decide what to do with mine

I'd love to have a go in a Clio with no pas.. Would help me decide what to do with mine

Easy, find a quiet private road with a very small gradient and let it free wheel out of gear with the engine off and ignition on to 1st click to stop steering lock, don't let it build to much speed this should give you an idea, you do this at your own risk.

Regards Russ.......

Many.
Easy, find a quiet private road with a very small gradient and let it free wheel out of gear with the engine off and ignition on to 1st click to stop steering lock, don't let it build to much speed this should give you an idea, you do this at your own risk.

Regards Russ.......

That'll be heavier than actually removing the PAS though, as fluid racks don't like forcing fluid around.

True,he'd have to drain it then but as you said would be hard^^^^^^with fluid but would give an idea, I think there are enough threads asking the same question for him to make an informed decision, I wouldn't do it but would like the adjustable control, I like the 106 set up as well.

Regards Russ.......

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
Ok cheers guys i think ill keep the hydrolic set up then for ease of use when going around town

1.5 dci Expression
Ever thought of trying to fit the electric system? The rack is obviously pretty basic but the column is powered! Don't know how difficult this may be, not tried it. I have heard however that the ratio in the rack from a van is lower making for fewer turns on the wheel! ( I think)!! :p

Many.
Even standard fitted EPAS (As per my DCi) with sport kit, lowered, solid top mounts and decent tyres, feels lovely. I think sometimes I'd like to back off the assistance to try and feel a bit more, but I like it.

I would really like to drive a Clio with No PAS, I've driven a fair few cars that are supposed to have PAS, without and it wasn't half as bad as I expected. Parking is a pain, but unless you're dry-steering its not much more work than PAS equipped cars.

I'm running without PAS on mine. As said above it's a bit of a nightmare for parking or turning around in a tight road, I don't find it too bad the rest of the time though.

I might look at fitting an EPAS column at some point but i don't drive it daily so it's not too bad.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
EPAS seems the logical option to me given that the controller lets you turn it off anyway if you dont want it, so no real downside to over no PAS at all, other than a couple of KG and a small amount of cost.