ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting those 2 bolts to line up on suspension damper!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I've swapped over my front suspension damper so that is in place (so to speak) but the 2 bolts/holes whereby the brake and hub, etc fit onto the damper is proving a total b**ch to line up...

20130424_124934_zps1cb038a9.jpg

Any hints/tips greatly appreciated!
Don

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Get one person to lever the hub down, whilst person two pulls at the shock and gets one bolt in. Once one is in, you're fine. It's better to do one than the other but I can't remember which way, sorry.

Also, make sure the top mount isn't tight tight, or it'll be a pig.

330i. E30 Touring.
As Rob Said. Put some weight on the wishbone/hub. You're basically fighting the ARB.

Get one bolt through and then push/pull the hub to line the second one up.

lift the bottom of the suspension arm up and slot thehub bit into it, if you get the bottom bolt in first the top one is a piece of p*ss lol

but the top one makes it a b**ch to put the bottom one in if you try putting that in first if that makes sense....

basically wiggle it about until you get the bottom one through, then do the top bolt

330i. E30 Touring.
lift the bottom of the suspension arm up and slot thehub bit into it, if you get the bottom bolt in first the top one is a piece of p*ss lol

but the top one makes it a b**ch to put the bottom one in if you try putting that in first if that makes sense....

basically wiggle it about until you get the bottom one through, then do the top bolt

Wrong. That'd make it further away.

Cup In bits
Use a ratchet strap/rope or something similar that can be removed when the bolts are in. Put it round the wishbone in a loop and stand or kneel on it to pull the hub down.

Make sure the cars jacked up both sides too as you will just fight a loosing battle against the ARB.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Use a ratchet strap/rope or something similar that can be removed when the bolts are in. Put it round the wishbone in a loop and stand or kneel on it to pull the hub down.

Make sure the cars jacked up both sides too as you will just fight a loosing battle against the ARB.

Ah...idiot boy was jacking it up on one side!

SQ5
Make sure both sides are jacked up first that'll make it a lot easier.

Then just give it a few good pushes down and have a bolt ready to go in.

225 Cup & Williams
Make sure both sides are jacked up first that'll make it a lot easier.

Then just give it a few good pushes down and have a bolt ready to go in.

Easiest way to do it.

I usually wedge a screwdriver through on hole and prize it until one hole lines up then fire the bolt through.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Cheers guys...will need 2nd pair of hands I think to cover it...as can't pull hub down AND manipulate the holes for the bolts to go in...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If you're really struggling, stand on the hub with one foot, and stick a thin screwdriver in the hole when it's close. It's a lot easier than getting the bolt in and you should be able to lever it from there.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Why has no one mentioned a dose of mtfu yet?!

If its still a struggle a lever bar (or say a trolley jack handle) over the arb and under the wishbone will allow you to lever the hub down a little bit.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
screwdriver trick works wonders but its not that easy, as in use a bit of force. Can be done by one person but having an extra pair of hands helps. Word of warning if its the passenger side - be careful you dont pull the driveshaft out of the seal on the box as it rotates inside the end of the seal itself. I've done that before and lost my gearbox oil and had to do an emergency run to the motorfactors to top up. Getting it back in can be a pain too

Have you only jacked one side up?

If you have you'll never do it because the ARB will be pushing that arm up to match the compressed other side

Get 2 axel stands and get both sides in the air

Piece of piss then

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Why has no one mentioned a dose of mtfu yet?!

If its still a struggle a lever bar (or say a trolley jack handle) over the arb and under the wishbone will allow you to lever the hub down a little bit.
John...you've not seen the size of me!
I'm more likely to break it if I put full force behind it...;)

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Have you only jacked one side up?

If you have you'll never do it because the ARB will be pushing that arm up to match the compressed other side

Get 2 axel stands and get both sides in the air

Piece of piss then

It was up on one side...I've put it up on both sides, but still can't get it aligned properly...so waiting for pair of hands later on to give me a help...that and brute force!

Ermmm what does the model have to do with whether you use spring compressors or not?

If you have the springs compressed you can push the bottom of the strut up to line the holes up as it's not under tension.
I've always fitted struts back onto cars with the springs compressed and then remove the compressors on the car, makes life a lot easier, unless you're fitting coilovers then I just have them wound all the way out so the springs are loose

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Ermmm what does the model have to do with whether you use spring compressors or not?

If you have the springs compressed you can push the bottom of the strut up to line the holes up as it's not under tension.
I've always fitted struts back onto cars with the springs compressed and then remove the compressors on the car, makes life a lot easier, unless you're fitting coilovers then I just have them wound all the way out so the springs are loose

Theres just no need for compressors on a 1*2 at all. Just adds work and hassle to the job.

Glad you got it sorted mate

Should have gave me a call Don would have come and sorted it for you in a few seconds;)

glad you sorted it mate.

Flol at some of the early suggestions in this thread...

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Should have gave me a call Don would have come and sorted it for you in a few seconds;)

glad you sorted it mate.

Flol at some of the early suggestions in this thread...

I didnt know you'd be available mate. Was doing it on my own...then got another pair of hands and done it in 10 mins...

Brute force, ignorance and a bit of luck and its all sorted...pmsl :)