ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gigabit Ethernet switch

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
I am have run out of ethernet ports on my router, does anyone use a switch?

If so which one do use and are they as simple as plugging them into power and adding the cables?

Cheers :up:

500bhp Scoob
I've got a couple of these at home, they do just fine, and the added bonus of being metal cased too.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AWM7PKO/?tag=cliospnet01-21

If the amazon link above doesn't work, its the Netgear GS308.

I'd go with the 8 port version as you'll lose 1 port with your patch cable from your router to the switch.
All you'll need is a patch cable to go from your router to the switch, then you can start using the ports on the switch.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yep - even the entry level stuff these days is semi-intelligent in terms of routing and giving out IP addresses. The switch will 99.9% for sure, hand those functions over to the router anyway.

I would personally buy gigabit throughput as well these days. The small price drop alone for the lesser 100mbps kit simply makes no sense to even consider it.

Make sure you get one that has it's own power connection though - the ones that drawer their power over an Ethernet connection (PoE) can be a bit temperamental. And I doubt very much that the router you're connecting it to will provide PoE to begin with.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Ordered this one.

5817B581-9057-4095-B75E-A765B8238EBF.png

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
That should do the trick.

Just be a bit wary that the switch - while fully capable of gigabit, will unlikely to be able to cope with eight ports in heavy use concurrently. The throughput under heavy use can easily overload a basic switch.

An example from home (granted, it's a standard BT router & integrated switch) - is that watching Netflix on the TV can easily become corrupted once I start to transfer a large file from my PC to the NAS box. Typical gaming will be fine - but large amounts of data will saturate it.

High end (and expensive) switches have the processing grunt to cope with heavy use on all ports at the same time.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
I won’t be using all 8 ports, 2/3 will probably be used now, but it’s handy to have too many than too little.

What would you class as a high end switch?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Nice! You running an ESX farm in your living room or something??
What do you use PoE for?

My AP's are PoE.

400Mbit broadband coming in, NAS directly connected to switch to take advantage of full download speed. Lot's of Plex clients all over the house, 40+ devices (both wired and wifi) making use of the network.

I love the stats you get out of the unifi kit, facebook consumes a ridiculous amount of data.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
My AP's are PoE.

400Mbit broadband coming in, NAS directly connected to switch to take advantage of full download speed. Lot's of Plex clients all over the house, 40+ devices (both wired and wifi) making use of the network.

I love the stats you get out of the unifi kit, facebook consumes a ridiculous amount of data.

Can't beat a bit of Plex! My server is shared with a dozen or so people so my BB takes a battering!

40 devices? How many people live in your house?!

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
My AP's are PoE.

Do you use a separate modem or is your BB supplied router capable or running the wireless devices/switches?

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
My AP's are PoE.

Very nice indeed, sounds like the potential for a fair bit of maintenance haha.
You got some bulk discount from Cisco??
Plex is about 80% of network usage. love the data you can get from something like plexpy, and network stats make me want a managed switch

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Can't beat a bit of Plex! My server is shared with a dozen or so people so my BB takes a battering!

40 devices? How many people live in your house?!

There's Sonos, Nest Thermostats, TV's, Laptops, iPads, Kindles, Smoke Alarms, Access Points, Office Phone, Consoles, NAS etc.

Soon adds up. Most of the bandwidth is consumed by Plex or the NAS downloading.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Do you use a separate modem or is your BB supplied router capable or running the wireless devices/switches?

Virgin "Super(Crap) Hub 3" running in modem mode. Unifi USG (previous used a mikrotik router) acting as the network gateway, separate switch, separate access points.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Very nice indeed, sounds like the potential for a fair bit of maintenance haha.
You got some bulk discount from Cisco??
Plex is about 80% of network usage. love the data you can get from something like plexpy, and network stats make me want a managed switch

Never really have to touch anything, all just works tbh.

NAS is a synology DS916+ (8GB ram) which I run docker on, Plex, plexpy and a whole load of other stuff run in containers on it.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Nice. I think Synology will be the route I go if/when i replace my QNAP.
No complaints here. Latest version of Plex supports hardware transcoding on the CPU as well and intel just fixed a bug in the intel drivers for transcoding so the quality is now decent and doesn't push the processor at all.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Keep meaning to give the Ubiquiti stuff a try, since getting our fibre connection I’ve just been using the EE provided router as the wireless performance on it has actually been really good.

Had a Draytek before and whilst some of the features were decent the wireless sucked and kept cutting out.

Fancy having a play with some better kit as want to get my little home lab setup again with some of the security tools from work (SIEM and an IPS). So want some kit that can actually output some decent logs and mirror some traffic for IPS and flow analysis.

Last edited:

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Forgot to update this, fitted the switch I posted above and it has done the trick nicely. I have attached all of the non demanding items (hue etc) and everything is running fine.

Thanks for the advice peeps. :up: