ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going from 16" to 17" rims

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I'm not to sure wether to stay on 16" or to go bigger to 17" rims dont know how much difference there is on handling that sort of thing?

Breaking A 172 Replica
I wouldn't.

I did it and it makes the handling snappy, ride rough, steering all over the shop and after a while you will realise they look to big for the car.

Sam

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I was thinking of getting urban racer in matt black finish but there not avail anymore now that's the kind of rim that i want, whould it be better if i lowred it or same again would spoil the handling?

M2 Competition
Will spoil the handling, will tramline, acceleration will be noticably worse, will be expensive.

Stick with 16's mate.

Breaking A 172 Replica
I swear to god if you value your handling you will regret fitting these within a month. Promise.

Sam

clio 172 FF
I wouldn't I'm going back to 16s. 17s tramline and the handling isn't that great. If the roads are quite rough and bumpy around your way I wouldn't get it lowered either. I did only for a week then went back and got them changed back.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
stick to 16"s definately, I made the mistake of going to 17"s on my 172, worst thing I ever did. 16"s for sure.

Ultra Blue R26
Will spoil the handling, will tramline, acceleration will be noticably worse, will be expensive.

Stick with 16's mate.
TBH it depends on what wheels you get, acceleration will only be affected if they are heavier, grip will be as good or better, tyres are not much more expensive if at all.
But saying that I've switched from 17"s to 16"s lol

Breaking A 172 Replica
Grip on the road is worse.

On a track maybe but the roads are too uneven, potholes everywhere and if the grip does go (with them being snappier) the consequences on the road are far more serious than on the track.

As for the acceleration I did some calcs and worked out each wheel had a cirumference of 2.5% greater with 205/17s making each gear longer and you are in the power band for less amount of time. This makes acceleration lower.

Sam

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I'll stick to 16" thanks allot pepole i live where theres loads of country roads bumpy roads aswell it's bumpy enough round here anyway :), i would love to get a hold a set of urban racer by wolfrace in matt black if anyone knows price and availability new or second hand cheers

White R26/Stripped Valver
I've had 17s on for a while now and i havent noticed anything different except pot holes full alot harder!! Handling doesnt feel worse and acceleration still feels pretty quick. And driving a valver i would definatly notice any changes. Plus its your car do what ever you want really.

172 FF
I agree with Mazzer just fitted 17" BSA Maniks with Falken 205/40 grip is soooo much better, also less wheelspin when pulling away in first in the wet. Look alot better than 16" too

meriva vxr! really ;-)
I found 16's with trac control off struggle to get power down and a lot of wasted power, with 17's marked improvement in traction-although still alot of power for fwd to cope with! Assume traction is due to bigger surface area of tyre. Handling is different feel, depends what you like, 16's seem to give more progressive feel - you can tell when grip is about to go, 17's can handle better but when you hit the limit grip goes quickly without giving you as much warning. In reality everybody has different driving abilities so to say a wheel has this affect is very dependant on the driver...

D

dick

i prefer 17s, not as fast, can really tell though :/, but the handling is deffo better, not as much wheelspin aswell

172 gone :( 197 now :)
Look better but you'll prefer caning it with 16's so jus keep both sets your 16's for when you go for a drive and your 17's for the rest of the time. I agree with above i dont know where the limit is with my 17's they jus seem to go if you push it too hard and i end up sideways! I cant have four people in my car with 17's on either.

i get 205/40 17 goodyear eagle f1's for £72 each so price isnt an issue.

Have had 17's on now for about 2 years and I still love my car! out handles most things - dont get me wrong it could be smoother but I think they are a good compromise between looks and performance. mine is lowered approx 50mm on H&R coilovers and imo its great - could do with the suspension setting up a bit better but its in no way unbearable.

the 197 has 17's, mini can come with whatever size you ask for from the dealer - if there was that much of a problem why do they use 17's?

it tramlined on 16's too when accelerating hard so ot much difference there - I dont really get any extra tramlining

and as for poorer acceleration - thats rubbish! by the time you get a lower profile tyre there is very little difference.

The clocks are out on all cars so thats not an issue - if you ever use a GPS type device in your car you will see that the clocks always over quote the speed you are actually doing. when doing 76mph on the dash clock I am actually doing 70mph in reality - this did not change when i changed the wheels

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
What i need to do is find someone with 17s and take it for a spin see how it compares to mine the only trouble is finding that person