ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Goodbye 225 Trophy, hello AMG

133/225/CLS AMG
Well I had been looking for something more grown up, more luxurious and with a whacking great engine for a little while.

I'd been looking at V10 M5 and M6s but was very wairy of that SMG gearbox and although I've liked the CLS for a while had no idea it fell into my price bracket. Fortunately this particular example came up for sale through my friend's father in law, this friend of mine being a professional detailer and in his care for the last 2 years so I'd known the car and it was mint.

She's a 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG, has 17k on the clock, a 6.2ltr V8 and 507bhp. She's been treated to a full correction and protection using G-techniq C1 and EXO so just need to maintain the condition and enjoy....

DSCF3072%201_zpsvqhnkjnl.jpg

DSCF3058%201_zpsp5nc99z1.jpg

DSCF3075%201_zpszfr8pjgw.jpg

DSCF3074%201_zpskep6ffle.jpg

Merc1%201_zpsbmt659kd.jpg

Interior is much the same as the exterior, basically hardly used!

AMG%20-%204_zpsjq4s6rkz.jpg

Interior%202_zpsssdraygp.jpg

Interior%201_zpsmsgkothg.jpg

Interior%204_zps2ckemvpa.jpg

And lastly that V8! Gave the engine bay a wipe down at the weekend.

Engine1%201_zpsdpu40qq4.jpg

It's a huge change going from driving a 260bhp hot hatch day to day to something with almost twice the power and considerably bigger. I actually find it has a real sense of ocassion to it and that I don't tend to put my foot down particularly as you just kind of waft around, let alone the 17mpg round town fuel ecomony! :)

133/225/CLS AMG
100%

You need to be 40-60, white or Indian, in a suit, with a tie on. Square brief case.

Well I'm definitely white (like Ben Affleck!), only wear a suite to funerals/weddings/interviews and no briefcase I'm afraid. More likely to see me get out wearing an AC/DC t-shift and Converse!

Looks great that, and bet it goes like a train lol.

It's a funny car in terms of performance because yes it's bloody quick but the sens of speed doesn't come until you're either high up the revs or at silly speed. To give you an idea I was coming up a slip road (private obviously) and dropped it down from 7th to 4th and put my foot down, got to 110 from 60ish with almost no fuss. I find myself very chilled behind the wheel but confident at having the power. That said in the wet you can't just 'nip out' of a junction or something as the wheels struggle for traction.

Track 172 Cup
Lovely car welcome too the big v8 club haha I know the 'pain' at junctions with a supercharged 6.0 myself it's a struggle too pull off love the fact with these types of car you don't need to change down to overtake stuff and cruising is awesome haha mine's creeping up from around 13mpg getting closer to 17mpg myself now. Was looking at the German V8 offerings as the certainly are better put together than my Aussie lump which does feel quite agricultural sometimes lol

Last edited:
  133/225/CLS AMG
Jesus lol, sounds very fast.

It is but only according to the speedo haha. I mean it's a different sensation of speed, a lot less frantic than a hot hatch and a different kind of fun.

Lovely car welcome too the big v8 club haha I know the 'pain' at junctions with a supercharged 6.0 myself it's a struggle too pull off love the fact with these types of car you don't need to change down to overtake stuff and cruising is awesome haha mine's creeping up from around 13mpg getting closer to 17mpg myself now. Was looking at the German V8 offerings as the certainly are better put together than my Aussie lump which does feel quite agricultural sometimes lol

I'm guessing you're a VXR or some kind? :)

Yeah, pulling off in the damp is interesting especially considering 'comfort' mode on the auto box pulls away in 2nd gear! It's easy to take for granted what power you do have though and overtaking is just effortless.

That said, in many situations my old Megane was similarly quick. 260bhp and 1400kg certainly shifts, the AMG is just pure muscle though and a big motor at around 1800kg. Also it's road presence means people do actually move out of your way if you wish to overtake. Sub-conscious snob value I suspect not that, that's the reason I bought it.

Track 172 Cup
Yeah VXR8 or as I tell most who ask a Holden Commodore lol just confuses people. I'm taking it too the EFi Rolling road day on Sunday hoping for around 600hp/600lb/ft wish I had the Auto sometimes but they're nowhere near as nice as any euro car's auto box lol

133/225/CLS AMG
Looks lovely. Great cabin.

How much is one of those ?

New in this spec it was nearly £80k, for an average mileage CLS55 you're looking at £15k. I paid a little more than that. :)

Very nice, looks a mint example indeed. Its just me though, but I still prefer the E-Class to the CLS.

It really is absolutely mint, it's had a very easy somewhat pampered life. The new E-Class vs the new CLS I'm not sure. I love the lines on this shape though, looks like a coupe with the practicality of the four.

Yeah VXR8 or as I tell most who ask a Holden Commodore lol just confuses people. I'm taking it too the EFi Rolling road day on Sunday hoping for around 600hp/600lb/ft wish I had the Auto sometimes but they're nowhere near as nice as any euro car's auto box lol

That is gonna be a bloody quick car mate. To be honest if the auto box was going to be a bit crude you're better off with a manual. I unfortunately don't get a choice in having an auto on these as there was no manual option. Would I have gone with a manual if I'd had a choice? Maybe but purely due to familiarity. The auto really does suite the car and it changes gear almost seamlessly, even driving slowly you can get it to change gear when you expect with a little lift of the throttle.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
If i'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure you can map the gearbox on these for faster changes.

133/225/CLS AMG
Yeah I did see something about gearbox maps and apparently blips on down changes too! That'd be cool.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Loved my E63 AMG Tourer, although the sound track was cracking, and then build quality was amazing it missed something that couldn't rival my M5.

My biggest bug bear was the downshift in manual mode, you couldn't block change up or down so you had to go through each gear up or down. Used to take the funny out of driving when pushing on.

Enjoy as they are great engines.

133/225/CLS AMG
Love it.

I saw a boggo one of these today, and they're hilariously large! What's it like coming from a hot hatch to a limo?

It's funny because it doesn't feel ridiculous to drive and actually doesn't feel that wide. It's that boot which adds the length as its massive. Thank god it's got parking sensors front and back!

Loved my E63 AMG Tourer, although the sound track was cracking, and then build quality was amazing it missed something that couldn't rival my M5.

My biggest bug bear was the downshift in manual mode, you couldn't block change up or down so you had to go through each gear up or down. Used to take the funny out of driving when pushing on.

Enjoy as they are great engines.

I haven't found the gearbox too distracting from the fun as yet, then again I went into it with a low expectations of the automatics in general so it's been a nice change if I'm honest. I'm sure I did read this gearbox can do block changes but not sure if that's auto mode or not.

Did you go for the v10 M5?

133/225/CLS AMG
Hahaha figure of speech mate. Don't worry 'she' doesn't have a name!! Hahha

Although there is a name plaque on the engine. Turns out the guy was Italian born but built engines for AMG since the early 90s.

Track 172 Cup
Would love a play in one of the new turbo one's. I like having a big car for cruising and family days out it's just nice having loads of room always thought it would be a pain in the a**e but its great. no getting my seat kicked and no one moaning they're squashed in the back lol and 2 prams + bags fit in the boot, and we can still grab some shopping and that fits in haha

133/225/CLS AMG
Would love a play in one of the new turbo one's. I like having a big car for cruising and family days out it's just nice having loads of room always thought it would be a pain in the a**e but its great. no getting my seat kicked and no one moaning they're squashed in the back lol and 2 prams + bags fit in the boot, and we can still grab some shopping and that fits in haha

Well I've only got one little'un at the moment and although she doesn't live with me I have her regularly. That said she fitted well in the Megane, plus my Mrs has a 2013 Focus which has tonnes of space anyway.

Having said that it is quite nice having a bigger car. It's how people react to it that surprises me though. Like people take it that bit more seriously on the road.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
100%

You need to be 40-60, white or Indian, in a suit, with a tie on. Square brief case.

I can confirm this to be correct. At a previous job some years back, someone bought one of these and he was late 50s, white, square brief case, suit and a Manager abeit, at a concrete factory not a paint factory.

Epic car though!

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Very nice! Real bargain at the moment

I picked one up with a friend from way down South, what a noise! but so comfortable

Where did you get it from?

133/225/CLS AMG
I can confirm this to be correct. At a previous job some years back, someone bought one of these and he was late 50s, white, square brief case, suit and a Manager abeit, at a concrete factory not a paint factory.

Epic car though!

Uh-oh!! I suppose a tattoo'd heavy metal fan is not the stereotype for this car than. Although I'm 33 now so 'grown up' supposedly! haha

Very nice! Real bargain at the moment

I picked one up with a friend from way down South, what a noise! but so comfortable

Where did you get it from?

For what it is, yes it's an absolute bargain. I worked out that in depreciation alone it's cost about £3.50 a mile!!

I bought it from my friend's father in law. He bought it just over two years ago, with 12k on the clock. Did another 5k but it's too low for him now (back problems) so sold this for something more SUV.

Nice thing is my friend runs Divine Detailing so has pampered the car and is the only person I'd let detail my cars so buying from the family was a no brainer. Let alone the mileage.

Cool thing is the insurance is only about £300!!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
lol how is that cheaper to insure than my car and I'm 34! (mine is £350) Who are you insured with out of interest?

I would have had an AMG this year if it wasn't for spending a fortune on a new kitchen, hopefully next year! But its likely to be an E63, I had mine remapped a few months back which will tide me over for the time being (half the power for half the fuel bill, but I want a big engine next)