ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Goodbye V6, Hello 225

Mark 1 Clio V6

To be perfectly honest I doubt most people would notice the difference between a mk1 and mk2 on the road.

On the track yes, but how many times have you had it on the track in order for you to "run rings" around a mk1? None Ill bet, so the driving experience will be much the same as the mk1.

So for road driving there is no difference IMO, so I doubt I would find the mk2 any better than the mk1.

I didnt say Renault know nothing about all cars, its just that they seem to know very little about a mid-engined rear wheel drive Renault.

The V6 is the only RWD mid-engined hatch so it is the best in its class (its the only in its class), but it isnt as great as the some people (this biased judgement from the likes of him make V6 owners look to be big headed and a touch pompus) make out.

Quote: Originally posted by CraigV6 on 30 November 2004

To be perfectly honest I doubt most people would notice the difference between a mk1 and mk2 on the road.

If you drive slow and steady I would think. but the Mk2 has more power and better handling, so yes if push it you can feel the difference (so many road test reviews tell me)...lol ;)

If you keep dissing Mk2s then I will keep comimg on here and defending no matter how "Pompus" you feel I am, sound morel ike Mk2 envy to me?...just get in your 225 and GO AWAY......this is a CLIO site, not a Megane site anyway??

Simon.

Quote: Originally posted by MK3COL on 30 November 2004

Why get so offended cos he chose to dich the Vee? Bit sensitive and insecure? He was bored and has other reasons, to diss his new car is just lame! Nice choice Craig, will miss seeing the Vee about but aint seen a 225 in Westhill yet though:cool:

Not Insecure, just wonder why someone would choose a "Multipla" type looking car over a V6?, although I would not want his Mk1 version either, I waited till the Mk2 came out before buying as I had read so many bad things about the Mk1?

I am talking std Mk1 of course , not modded like MikeTs or V6,ings great cars....;)

Simon.

Quote: Originally posted by TheRoninV6 on 30 November 2004

maybe its time you girls put your handbags away :p :p :p

OK Handbags going away, GUNs coming out next....;)

I am trying to see how posts I can get on one page.....lol

Simon.

7.6cc :D

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 29 November 2004

Uhm..its his nickname..hes called Graig and im called Gob.
apt. ;)

Congratulations Craig, i think youve done the right thing.

I guess I just find it hard to understand other peoples ideas of "Good Looking", almost all the people I know (young and old) all feel that the Megane is one of the ugliest cars on the road????

but if you like it Craig then so be it.....enjoy mate, and sorry for going on....:D

Simon.

7.6cc :D

Quote: Originally posted by shmall on 30 November 2004

I guess I just find it hard to understand other peoples ideas of "Good Looking"
Thats just it, everyone likes different things, personally I think the mk 1 V6 looks a bit dated now that the mk 2 is out (still prefer one over my car obviously)

But if i had the choice that Craigs had, i would go for the more modern car too.

but there are so many more nicer looking fast modern car around...you guys on here are the first people I have met that like the Megane shape?

As my grandad would have said "Theres nowt as queer folk", lol

Simon.

Personally speaking, I think hes made the right choice. :D

The megane is subtle, more practical and faster. As for styling then yeah, its not to everyones taste but its still a fantastic looking car. As for the v6, its defo a headturner but IMO the performance doesnt really back up the looks. Thats not to say its slow, but to my mind, i cant help feel renault was a little half assed in their development - it has the makings of a supercar (mid engined, 2 seater etc) but not the power to match when you consider what can keep up for less.

The megane on the otherhand is a better blend - power, practicality and looks....safer too...

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 30 November 2004

but its still a fantastic looking car.

amazing.....think specsavers would make a fortune on here...lol ;)

Simon.

I agree the Mk1 V6 was a little slow (about 182 speed) but Mk2 is much quicker and better handling and a great place to start modding.

How does a V6 355 sounds.....lol

172, Tiguan

Simon!

Having read your 50 replies, im still not 100% sure on your opinions! Please tell us again!

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 30 November 2004

Simon!

Having read your 50 replies, im still not 100% sure on your opinions! Please tell us again!

errrrmmm, did I say I hate the Megane looks?? damn I cant remember now....? yes that was it, wasnt it, ?? LOL

Come on other V6 255 guys, help me out here or are you all secret 225 lovers.....??? lol ;)

Simon.

I agree the Mk1 V6 was a little slow (about 182 speed) but Mk2 is much quicker and better handling and a great place to start modding.
Thats the point though - the mk2 may quicker but not by enough - if i bought one, id HAVE to modify it before id feel comfortable driving such an obvious car about. To a certain extent (and please excuse the comparision) its the same as all these kitted up 1.2s going about - i could never drive a car like that knowing there are bog-std cars that could beat it. As i said, the megane on the other hand has decent power already there and wont feel somewhat lacking when compared to its styling.

Personally its about choices - id have a V6 as they look fantastic but would end up spending masses on tuning it. If i had a megane id be content with lowering it a little and chipping it.

E91 M Sport

The mk1 V6 is hardly slow compared to a mk2, a difference of 10bhp/ton is hardly going to make it fly! This is also assuming that youre ragging the nuts off it all the time, and dont they have the same lb/ft...?

So youve bought your 255, but I reckon the 13k I saved not buying my car new could make it quite a lot of faster than yours ;)

I do agree that both of them could do with a good 50bhp more to unleash their true potential.

As for the mk1 looking old? Hang on, they only changed about 10% of the exterior on the mk2??? So from the back or the side, youd be hard pushed to know which one you were looking at. And everyone knows that the mk1s are classics, so Ill go get you a spoon....lol

LOL, a kitted up 1.2... its nothing like that at all...lol
Thats not what i was saying - i was refering to its styling. The look of the car is so out of the ordinary it really needs similar performance to back it up. As i said, its not slow car but its not fast enough to fit with the looks. IMO the designers did a fantastic job with the exterior but wasted a lot of potential with the performance. Sure, you could sort that with modfiying but its a lot to buy the car in the first place only to start hacking it around. The mk1 would be a better option for this if you wanted to go the all out looks, all out performance route without the obvious annoyances of paying through the nose...

Damn now I have got the Mk1 guys backs up too....lol

u33bd , you need to drive a 255 first to understand one.

The V6 has a bad press about speed and handling really because of the bad press the Mk1 had, its stuck to the Mk2 abit, but read any Mk2 roads test to realise thats its a totally difference beast althougher....

Now this will turn into a Mk1 v Mk2 v6 post.....??? and Miketheman2k, It didnt pay full price for mine...

Simon.

Quote: Originally posted by miketheman2k on 30 November 2004

So youve bought your 255, but I reckon the 13k I saved not buying my car new could make it quite a lot of faster than yours ;)

you only saved £8000 on me, and have you used your £8k to make yours faster then??? lol ;)

I reckon NOS at around £1500 max for 75-100bhp is a very cheap and very fast upgrade....power only when you need it.....lol

Simon

61 replies and over 1000 views for NOTHING really.....hahahah lol

This is MADNESS....:eek:

Simon.
As intresting as this thread has become I have to go and do some work but look forward to continuing this later.....lol

172 Cup

V6 mk2 any day. Both cars will receive attention only the V6 will be in a positive way while the Meganes attention will ultimately be "wtf did they do to rear of that car!?!?!"

E91 M Sport

you only saved £8000 on me, and have you used your £8k to make yours faster then??? lol ;)

I reckon NOS at around £1500 max for 75-100bhp is a very cheap and very fast upgrade....power only when you need it.....lol

Simon
Well no, I spent it on women, gambling and drugs, but thats not the point :oops: lol

Quote: Originally posted by .Griff. on 30 November 2004

V6 mk2 any day. Both cars will receive attention only the V6 will be in a positive way while the Meganes attention will ultimately be "wtf did they do to rear of that car!?!?!"
Give it a year or so m8 - times change! I bet if youd spoken to a few of the R5GTT owners back when the first clios came out youd have found similar opinions yet look at their popularity now...

Back on topic though before this turns into a pros and cons of a v6 topic, this chap has bought a megane because he finds a V6 a pain in the ass for good reasons. If hes happy then fair play to him - at the end of the day its still a quick car, a practical car, a cheaper car, a safer car, more tuning potential etc etc...

Mark 1 Clio V6

Simon

There is someone on here that has owned both mk1 and mk2 and said he thought the mk1 was a more entertaining drive (on the road). The mk2 is not as superior as you like to think. It should have been much, much better than the mk1, but they seemed to hold back. The only time people will notice is on a track (which I bet 90% of owners will never encounter).

I am happy in the knowledge that the Megane is a hell of a lot of car for £16k and that it is no slouch. The looks I am yet to get used to but I think from all angles other than the back (I am sure it will grow on me, like it did on J-Lo) it looks very good. I wanted a more practical Renault with as much power as the one I currently own that doesnt stir 1% of the attention that the V6 does.

In my opinion its one real defining factor (the way it looks) is also, after time, its downfall.

This coupled with the pregnant girlfriend matter has pushed me to the Megane. Shoot me down for staying Renault if you will...........................

There is someone on here that has owned both mk1 and mk2 and said he thought the mk1 was a more entertaining drive (on the road).

hahahaha this is so funny, he thought it was more "Entertaining" because it was More of a handfull and therefore to him more exciting (never knowing when it was going to spin...lol)

Mk2 is faster and better handling so he thought it was more boring....lol...

Look I am way to much like J.Clarkson, in that I love the Mk2 to bits and dont like the std Mk1, in my perfect 10 ten garage I would also have one of these NO Question.....just how I feel.

...and one of the other nine would not be a 225.;)

To answer someone else question, if the Megane ends up with a wild wide arch kit, engine in the back, RWD and 2 seats, then YES it may well be worth buying one then....time will tell.... :eek:

Craig I agree if you have more than 2 ( pregent girlfriend) then a Clio V6 is no good for you.....but there are much better/nicer looking family cars out there than the Megane.

I am sorry, I just hate the shape of the Megane.

Simon.

E91 M Sport

I believe Clarkson had to pop a "brave pill" or two when he took the V6 Mk2 out on the track to find its limits....not such a different car after all then! Except that us mk1 owners are treated to the classic wayward beast, as opposed to the tamed down version ;)

[Edited by miketheman2k on 30 November 2004 at 2:38pm]

I believe Clarkson had to pop a "brave pill" or two when he took the V6 Mk2 out on the track to find its limits....not such a different car after all then! Except that us mk1 owners are treated to the classic wayward beast, as opposed to the tamed down version ;)

[Edited by miketheman2k on 30 November 2004 at 2:38pm]

True, that was because the last time he drove a Clio V6 it was a MK1.......which scared him sh*tless....;) he crashed 3, but I believe he was plensantly surprised on how much better the Mk2....:D

"The Stig" loved it.....and did a time on a very wet track as fast as an Aston Martin Quanquish, would have loved to see it in the dry, would have 5-6 seconds faster I reckon.

Simon.

Octavia VRS

shmall youre like a small child lol

my cars better than yours..................weve heard enough!!!

[Edited by POW_Clio on 30 November 2004 at 2:56pm]

Simon

There is someone on here that has owned both mk1 and mk2 and said he thought the mk1 was a more entertaining drive (on the road).

^^ Thats was SteveV6 that had both, and said they were not that much different as u would be led to believe. But sadly he wrote off his MK2 V6! : /