ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GoPro... which is best to buy help?

Full Fat 182
Hey chaps,

A girlfriend of a mate has asked me for advice as to which GoPro to buy him for his birthday next week. Problem is I know I can't afford one so I haven't ever done any research.. easiest way to resist temptation to buy! Any quick advice from people with experience of GoPro products would be massively appreciated.

As abit of info.. The guys car is abit of a custom job. Very fast, stripped down to the bare minimum pumping out alot of power + on throttle bodies and a straight through = LOTS of noise and quite abit of vibration. Do all the GoPro cams come with anti-vibration software that can handle this? And how much of a difference is there between GoPro 1, 2 and 3 and the different models, is it really worth splashing out the extra £££?

Thanks again in advance!

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Ta Chi

Yes I had a group buy on for the GoPro HD Hero 3 cameras, unfortunately (and without warning) they launched the facelift 3+ models half way through the group buy

So i sorted out the people who had paid deposits and plan on doing a new group but on the 3+ cameras in the future so check my Traders sections for details

I can also supply the latest genuine GoPro cameras, mounts and accessories (without a GB being run) so if you're wanting one please get in touch

I've got a gopro hero 3 and it's pretty damn awesome, but wish I had the 3+. There isn't meant to be much difference apart from the + being a bit smaller and having a higher frame rate (think it has this can't quite remember). But of course the 3 has gone down in price a bit lately and is still an amazing camera. If your lucky you could get it for like £200-230 but on eBay they constantly for for £280. I actually just had a quick look and it's £280 for the plus which I'd say is a pretty decent deal.

if there's loads of vibration, it won't handle that too well, but of course there's people on youtube that will show you little tricks to help combat it. And how to make cheap mounts and stuff, although I'd normally get proper mounts just for a bit more safety.

Tbh the 3 and 3+ are overkill if it's for a track car - realistically how often do we use 120fps on track?

If it's for a skateboarder/surfer or some other action fun then I'd pay £300+ for one.
But for in a track car the very basic GoPro 3 or even a GoPro 2 would be fine - and they're under £200

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
As per Phil above really but I confess to owning a HD3+ (Thanks to G 172) and the thing that swayed me to the HD3 units was the built in Wifi/GoPro App functionality so I didn't need to buy the screen and remote backs (which are pricey).

I can be strapped in to my seat then take my phone out of the naughty hide spot (Between the padding), press the power on & start button then just go do my s**t lap for all the world to laugh at later. Another "plus" for this feature is you can position the camera in-car and then actually preview the scene so you know how your videos will look (I wanted to be able to see what the driver was doing along with what was happening outside the car and this feature helped me do that without any trial and error). Yes it's pretty lazy as I could just ask someone to press the button for me or even set it going before I go out but, meh!

Arctic Blue 182
I used to have a GoPro hero 2 which was great, perfect for videos of the car, also used it on a jetski and other things, would highly recomend it. Recently upgraded to the hero 3 black edition only because the still photo quality is much better and we were going to take it on holiday. The built in wifi is also great and useful with the app and the camera does look better. Would deffo buy a hero 3 black again and would reccomend the hero 2 to anyone just wanting to use it for a few trackday videos plua the battery life is much better on the hero 2

Full Fat 182
cheers for all the posts guys. I think she's pretty much convinced on getting him the GoPro 3 now... or GoPro 2... it's packaged as a GoPro 3 but apparently unless its a 3+ is just a repackaged 2? :/ Either way, the camera and kit is on at a really good rate and by the sounds of it, it'll do the job perfectly. Thanks again!

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
@pete_182_87 If she hasn't already parted with her money, then Argos have the GoPro 3 Black edition (Surf) for £220. The non surf one is £40 more but even buying the mounts from gopro still makes it cheaper getting the surf ones.