ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got 17’s on 172 -Do I need better brakes

Hi, can anyone help? I have scoured the forum search but cant find if anyone has had to put better/larger brakes on their car after fitting 17s etc?

The brakes on the 172 are notoriously good anyway, however I was considering putting better disc/pads on to compensate for my 17s. Do bigger wheels require better stopping power? I was considering green stuff pads and EBC discs (for front and rear If I can get them). This would hopefully sort out my brake dust prob too!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Congrats on the 17s on a 172, those 17s just look that wee bit more suiting to a 172, 16s are just about enough.

The brakes on a 172 are excellent as they are, disks all round with ventalated fronts. If you did want to upgrade them though k-tec do a good (if not slightly expensive) upgrade for ~ £1000

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

A question for you, do you find that the car accelerates slower ? do you find it tramlining a lot more or just about the same. I hardly notice the tramlining on 16s.

thx

I was a bit worried about getting them for that reason but I would argue in terms of acceleration and handling there is no difference.

The only time I have noticed tramlining is if you brake hard from 50-60mph. The car drifts v. slightly following the contours on the road.

Dont fancy spending £1000. Any other ideas? Is it worth it?

_KDF - definatley get 17s. You will get no scrubbing if you drop it up to 30mm. Ive had 4 people in my car with 17s and had both full lock and no scrubbing. GO FOR IT!!

LOL depends on your type of driving.... I mean do you drive like a head case and use those brakes lots? Do they fade? If the answer is yes to both of these then its worth it but im sure you can get something cheaper....

Yeah K-Tec do a front disc uprated set but dont appear to do rears. Would rather get them both sorted. Insurance is a git. Tesco want £357 a year extra to putthese wheels on my car!! Changed to Elephant instead. They want.....nowt!!!

Dont drive like a headcase normally but did manage to hit 115 when I saw the roundabout infront of me. Brakes grumbled a bit about that. Thats when I wondered if the brakes required upgrading coz of the wheels?. (Off course this was a private road with a private er... roundabout)

Silver Fabia vRS

Ive got 17s on mine and just upgraded the front discs to Tarox G88 40 groove ones and Tarox Fast Road Pads all round, stops better when the pads are hot although the ABS can tend to cut in quicker. Only cost me around £300 all fitted from Nick Hill.

The wheels will be heavier, unless theyre superleggras or something, so i guess it will take longer to stop, but its not like youll realise, unless you come up against a mk1 172...

CTR EK9 turbo

get some Laguna discs and those mega expensive pads that cost £120 a pair that the cup cars use. Bound to be much better. Those 282 mm discs are the biggest you can fit on a mk.1 because of the 15inch rims. You can barely fit the balancing weights on the inside of the alloys! the clearance is about 1 nm!!!

CTR EK9 turbo

Im not entirely sure, ill have to try and ask someone in the know. But apparently they use them? £25 a disc, but the pads they use are mega expensive at something like £120 - maybe someone in the know on here could tell us about measurements?

I would just go for group N discs (plain and cheap but has more friction) and some nice ferrodo pads. Cheap and works good. Unless you do tracks days :), then maybe you need a better pad. No need to spend loads on the 172 system. They work very well already.

Chun.

no point in 10 pots really.........OTT in everyway.

the cup racers use modified front subframes and struts with the laguna V6 brake system with performance friction pads........when we tested pagid were better but more expensive.

yup, i posted a while ago that the 172 and megane coupe share pads, hence calipers, hence same mounting points on hub.....hence the same kits can be used.