ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got a new camera (few questions)

Porsche Boxster987S
Just bought a nikon d40 and tripod today and have been trying to read through the manual:dead: Confusing for a beginner. Couple things (might sound dumb:eek:)

1. Do you need to buy a memory card before any pics can be taken and if so what memory card???
2. Am i ready to just start taking pics in auto mode???
3. Advice on night pics needed.:eek:

Cant wait to get snappin but it seems i cant without a memory card:dapprove:

Cheers

Porsche Boxster987S
so basically i cant take any without then???:( where do you get these remotes from??

182 & Porsche 986
Yeah should be able to get a decent sized memory card for pretty cheap now.
and if you just stick it in auto mode theres no point in getting a slr :eek: the A and S settings are good to get used to it

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
bidding war ftw lol tbf though there only 250 brand new so not a massive amount of moolah

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Looking to get a DSLR in the next month or 2 but when I borrowed one I found just playing about in the garden with the settings was the easiest way to get used to it

182, SQ7, Trafic
Getting used to it and playing with it is the best way, I've noticed how much better I've got since January to now!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Its all your fault Danny that I am now going to spend a fewe hundred ona camera :( LOL

Megane Mk4
Just bought a nikon d40 and tripod today and have been trying to read through the manual:dead: Confusing for a beginner. Couple things (might sound dumb:eek:)
You read through the manual? .. Are you mad?? I never did with mine.. I'm a 'button player' ;) lol

1. Do you need to buy a memory card before any pics can be taken and if so what memory card???
Yes, you will. I suggest 2Gb and 4Gb SDHC cards, buy as many as you can afford and preferably a decent make, also when you've done for the day, copy your pictures off.
2. Am i ready to just start taking pics in auto mode???
If the camera is set for Auto, yes.. You are.
3. Advice on night pics needed.:eek:
You will preferably need to be out of Auto mode for night pictures and you will need to play with settings. I generally use Manual mode for most pictures, (auto if its a very quick shot) but for night shots I use Manual mode as you can adjust all settings.

306 GTi-6
Nikons have an option buried in the menus to shoot without card, but tbh you should never have this enabled ! Think of the red faces when you shoot a cracking set of pics only to find you forgot to put in the memory card. (Or a wedding, or other important event....)

For night shots, as above, get a tripod. Even a cheapy 15 quid job from argos will do the job (hang your bag on it to add more weight). Nice to avoid shooting at ISO1600 on the D40 sensor, and with a pod you can set up for long exposures ! (set camera to 'S', values are fractions of a second, full seconds are represented with " eg: 5 = 1/5th, 5" = 5 seconds) And use the timer function set to 2 seconds once the camera is set up if you dont have a remote. They are only a fiver from ebay, but use IR so you'll likely need to be firing from the left side and slightly in-front to get consistant releases due to the other sides being obscured by the lens and camera body.