ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Government Bollox AGAIN!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3

Got my GTT 3 weeks ago and although it had a V5 it was already filled in, but not sent to DVLA, so I sent it off 2 weeks ago with my name and address. Went to tax me car yesterday and there is a new law (started on Feb 1st typical) which means u cant get tax without a V5 or a tax reminder neither of which I have. I rang DVLA and they reckon theyve lost it - the cnuts! I now have to fill in a V62 which can take up to 6 weeks to process - then I will get a V5 in my name. I cant get tax so I cant drive for upto 6 weeks.

Just rang the coppers and they reckon that the DVLA enforce car tax - not them - whether I drive is up to me!!! WHAT THE FOOK??? No tax + no insurance - is it worth it? They also said they cant issue a note or anything as how do they know the car aint stolen? Why would anyone whos stolen a car goto the police for advice or a note - they are off their heads!

Ive only had the car for 3 weeks and now theyre telling me I have to take it off the road till I get the V5 when they are the ones who lost the form in the first place. Im fookin pissed off. To make matters worse my missus is away until sunday so I have no transport.

Any advice? Anyone got a car I can borrow?

190 BHP Willy 2

I tell you what half the time you couldnt make stories up as good as these could you. Its all bollox!!

Somebody somewhere sits there thinking "what law can I introduce today to pi55 some more people off" there all to55ers!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3

Do DVLA actually have inspectors that go round checking cars? police didnt seem bothered!

190 BHP Willy 2

Read my post MORE goverment Crap!

I think the police are only interested if they pull you over. Normally its traffic wardens and bobbys on the beat if they spot it will report you. Or speed cameras (forward facing)

Why do you think your not insured if you dont have tax?

If you dont have tax on your car and the pigs pull you and see it, they dont say..

"ahh, no tax, that means you dont have insurance either, so Ill nick you for that too.!".

You ARE insured.

All the police will do if they spot a car without car tax is give the details to the DVLA. So I guess if the DVLA know you are getting tax, and that the fact they lost the form is on their records then go ahead and drive it. I would drive it.

190 BHP Willy 2

Tom

Think you will find its your local authoritys that act on behalf of the DVLA. They only put a sticker on your car to scare you into taxing it or moving it. they give you X amount of days to sort the problem.

I know this because I had a sticker put on my car when I lent my mate my tax disc, and the number I had to phone was that of my local council office. The woman there actually said they normally pay a visit back to your car 2-3 weeks after they have put a hideously sticky, sticker on it. Then start taking action if you have ignored the notice.

mitsi - they are right that the DVLA enforce it. ive seen (but only ever a couple of times!) their vans that drive around looking for tax evaders. Cant remember what it looks like but it was fairly clearly marked that that was its job.

i know so many people who drive without tax, and get away with it, and i reckon your insurance wouldnt be comprimised unless you had coppers at the scene of any incedent and they saw it. even then they would have to contact them to let them know.

the other side of the coin is that as its a performance car, dunno how hot the feds are round your way but your definitely more likely to get pulled over and get that kind of hassle!

really dont know what id do mate, i suppose it depends just how much youre itchin to drive it!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3

I dont need to drive it as I can walk to work (luckily) - but cos my missus is away i cant even get to the supermarket to get my bread n dripping for us dinner!

Ive never been stopped (touchwood) in any of my hot hatches, but its sods law that if i go out in it without tax Ill get stopped and some gay boy copper will try to shaft me up the arse!

190 BHP Willy 2

lol try and shaft you up the arse. Beats playing with his truncheon I suppose.

Id go for damage limitation, in otherwords only drive it when you have too. Like you say you can walk to work so do so, and only use the car to go shopping etc.

Personally, id keep on driving it but sticking to the above rules.

was in college today when on a break i noticed some1 messin around near my baby clio in the far corner of the car park. i went over to see what he was doing and it appeared that he was brushing snow off my windows. acting before thinking i saw this guy eyeing up what was inside and ran over to kick 7 shades outta him. after a lot of shouting mainly me, he told me he worked for the authorities and was checking tax. i was a little embarresed:oops: when he told me. so they do have people checking, havin said this if i were you i would just drive the car when u need to till u get the tax

Ive just got my first tax disk since Jan 2000!

As long as ur insured and got mot to show the coppers if you get pulled ur laughing (no where in my insurance does it say its void without one).

Even the seven day producers they give you only ask for licence/mot/ins but not a tax disk! The coppers dont care, like they wont nick u for any kind of tax evassion unless they have been asked to by the tax peeps.

I wrote them a nice letter offering to pay the back-tax but they have no proccess for you to pay other than prosecution but as I was being nice and honest they let me off £480!! The main reason they let me off was beacause I told them it had been in bits (off road) and it hadnt been spotted + they didnt send me a reminder

Just dont leave it public car parks etc

Clio 200 FF

if you get pulled youll probably get a producer asking for mot,insurance,logbook to be taken to local plodshop within 7 days.

I dont know what theyd do if you took the papers minus the logbook?

if you read the small print in your insurance youll probably find your car is either unroadworthy or illegal to use on public roads and the insurance guys will void the policy, if you get it pinched or have an accident thell get out of paying out

Willy2

If i was you I would only drive it in the day and not at night as i believe you are more likley to get stopped at night. Park it off road so you cant get done for leavin it on the street. In London there are Tax inspectors who go around clamping untaxed vehicles, Get back on the blower to DVLA and explain the predicament that you are in and how THEY have lost the V5 so it is down to them. Get a receipt from the person you brought it off and hope you dont get pulled. And keep buggin the DVLA until they agree to sort this mess out. I believe if you can get a letter from the previous owner and send this to DVLA they must be able to do something.

Hope it helps

The coppers dont give a fcuk about tax unless they are instructed

GR7

Shiny red R32

Always keep copies of everything you send through the post, as it is so unreliable these days with mail regularly going missing and if what you are sending is of any importance, just fill in one of the proof of posting forms.

This V5 / road tax reminder, which now has to be shown at the Post Office when applying for tax, is to try to prevent people taxing cars which they dont own and may have been stolen. Really we should be thankful that at last they are trying to take steps to try and cut down on yobs stealing our cars.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Mitsi

Can you go to your nearest DVLA office in person and see if they can hurry things up for you? Have a look in the phone directory for your nearest office and give them a ring first to see if they can help you.

ask the dvla for some sort of reference number to state you have called and put it in the window of the car. Thats what I did, took about 3 hrs on the phone to get someone to allow me to do it though. When i got stopped the copper asked why I didnt have a tax disc and I told him, he didnt appear bothered to be honest

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3

Ive rung the local DVLA office and they have said that I have to fill in the V62 - new law apparently.

When I asked about driving the car they said that i MUST take it off the road. and even mentioned something about applying for an off road statutory notice whatever that is ?

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Dont be so soft, pop a note in your tax disc holder saying the log book hasnt returned hence cant tax it, blarr blarr blarr. Served me everytime ive bought a new car.

Its not like uve murdered the Queen, if you wanna be a good citizen, pay back tax when u get ur log book back. Just how much do have to obey to every single driving law? :mad:

Not that im bitter or anything, just their seems to be a lack of coppers with common sense.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

I wanna get my tax today but cant find my reminder - does this mean i cant buy my tax?

Aaronc

As long as youve got a V5 (log book), you can get away without the reminder, just means youll have to spend a couple of minutes filling out a V10, saying when your last disk ran out. You can get away with a bit of tax if youre willing to risk it, they might not be arsed to go through with prosocution if its only a couple of months. They let me off loads because I was honest and wanted to pay. Think they felt sorry for me, they were like howd on earth did it get so out of date? I said as all my parents and grandparents had snuffed it in that period I was spending a lot of time abroad traveling and stuff (true) they were like erm... just send us all the paper work (v5,ins,mot) and state when you want the new tax to start.