ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Greenlight - wake up and smell the potential business

Ford Mustang 5.0
Do you have any plans to ever help car enthusiasts drive around the ring on tourist days Neil?
Arguably the most fulfilling experience you can have in a hatchback that doesnt involve twins.

Seems like Keith Michaels really have the jump on the competition in that respect at the moment, I find it hard to believe they are the only ones who realise how important this is becoming to car enthusiasts!

We'd love to cover it mate, its just the collosal claim amounts that the ring charge for repairs/closures that make it pretty much uninsurable. We deal with 3 different underwriters for track cover and they all exclude it.

We cover all UK tracks (apart from Castle Combe) from £35 per time.

Just out of interest how much do Keith Michaels charge for the ring cover and do they have any limitations/excess's that apply?

Best Regards
Neil

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
We'd love to cover it mate, its just the collosal claim amounts that the ring charge for repairs/closures that make it pretty much uninsurable. We deal with 3 different underwriters for track cover and they all exclude it.

We cover all UK tracks (apart from Castle Combe) from £35 per time.

Just out of interest how much do Keith Michaels charge for the ring cover and do they have any limitations/excess's that apply?

Best Regards
Neil

That is a same, although I can understand the potential for much bigger claims due to barrier charges etc.

For us in a 182, it was 60 pounds per day at the ring last year.

So for a typical 4 days there, its 240 quid, which seems like a fair amount to me considering I understand the risks there for a big payout, but at that price they can afford 10% of people there for 4 days twice a year to crash once a year with a 4K bill and still cope (ie because for every 10 people going twice a year thats 4800 collected). Or of course a smaller percentage crashing and a bigger average bill (which I would think is more likely, not got the numbers though so just guessing)

Our excess there is 2k, so essentially our car itself isnt covered as thats about all a 182 is worth these days anyway!

Im not sure if the 60 pounds is anything like a fixed fee or if its somehow based on a percentage of policy or a fixed amount plus a percentage (the latter seems fairer to me) but our policy for reference was 600 pounds, so for us it equated to 10% of a years premium per day at the ring.
They through in a day at spa for free too on that trip, as we were doing 4 days at the ring and 1 at spa , but I believe that would normally be a similar amount.
Thats on my mrs policy, with me as a named driver and covered us both driving.

Not tried them for uk tracks as we do so many trackdays the maths wouldnt work out for it being worth it, we are better facing the liability of a full loss ourself over here as its such low value cars we use.

Ford Mustang 5.0
That is a same, although I can understand the potential for much bigger claims due to barrier charges etc.

For us in a 182, it was 60 pounds per day at the ring last year.

So for a typical 4 days there, its 240 quid, which seems like a fair amount to me considering I understand the risks there for a big payout, but at that price they can afford 10% of people there for 4 days twice a year to crash once a year with a 4K bill and still cope (ie because for every 10 people going twice a year thats 4800 collected). Or of course a smaller percentage crashing and a bigger average bill (which I would think is more likely, not got the numbers though so just guessing)

Our excess there is 2k, so essentially our car itself isnt covered as thats about all a 182 is worth these days anyway!

Im not sure if the 60 pounds is anything like a fixed fee or if its somehow based on a percentage of policy or a fixed amount plus a percentage (the latter seems fairer to me) but our policy for reference was 600 pounds, so for us it equated to 10% of a years premium per day at the ring.
They through in a day at spa for free too on that trip, as we were doing 4 days at the ring and 1 at spa , but I believe that would normally be a similar amount.
Thats on my mrs policy, with me as a named driver and covered us both driving.

Not tried them for uk tracks as we do so many trackdays the maths wouldnt work out for it being worth it, we are better facing the liability of a full loss ourself over here as its such low value cars we use.

£60 doesnt sound to bad for the ring cover.....Although the price you are paying for the annual policy is quite high.

A customer told me last week that the Ring are doing their own insurance for 80euros a day with an excess based on 25% of your car value....Not sure if that would work out cheaper/more benefial for you then you could potentially get a much better deal on your normal insurance and just pay the ring individually for cover. By doing the Ring cover seperately it also means it wont go against your insurance record.

Just something to consider

Best regards
neil

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
£60 doesnt sound to bad for the ring cover.....

Although the price you are paying for the annual policy is quite high.

Modified car fully declared, she is still in her 20s, Ive got a few points, NG postcode which is bad news, she hasnt got full no claims on this policy.
It was actually within a few quid of the cheapest quote we could find, not that it mattered as we didnt have another option for the ring which was the most important aspect of cover to us.

A customer told me last week that the Ring are doing their own insurance for 80euros a day with an excess based on 25% of your car value....Not sure if that would work out cheaper/more benefial for you then you could potentially get a much better deal on your normal insurance and just pay the ring individually for cover. By doing the Ring cover seperately it also means it wont go against your insurance record.

Just something to consider

Best regards
neil

If that is true it would be awesome so long as it applied to UK cars too, as I have a few other cars I would like to drive there at some point but they arent on a policy that covers me there so at the moment we are limited to only using the mrs car there.

Monstrously cheeky of me to ask this when it isnt one of your own services, but I guess it shows how confident I am in greenlight's willingness to be helpful that I am even asking you, but could you find out some more details please if you speak to the guy again? (I will of course give it a google again periodically in the mean time as seems like it would be mentioned online at some point if true, although I cant find it yet)

Have to say I was a bit shocked to read this, but brilliant to see a positive reply from Greenlight

I have both my cars insured with them, the clio costs less on insurance a year than it does in road tax!! I think that say's a lot.

I've rang them quite a few times (both insurance policies, mid-term adjustment to add my girlfriend to one, and had to ring when some moron smashed my wing mirror off and left me with a lacerated face - FUN!) and every time I ring them they answer quickly and never pressure me to get off the phone like most call centers do.

Usually end up chatting about the track days I'm doing or ring trips. It's great to use a company that actually seem to be car enthusiasts themselves!

Adrian flux made me spend a whole day writing out a mod sheet for the clio - then asked me for £200 more because apparently I hadn't told them about an ECU map over the phone (even though I told them it had an omex 600 - they must assume they map themselves lol) - whereas Greenlight just took my spec off my progress blog on here saving me loads of time.

When renewal comes through in March I certainly won't be going anywhere else :)

Ring cover sounds pretty awesome. Though I do worry that if the track damage was covered by insurance I might push a bit too hard lol

Ford Mustang 5.0
Modified car fully declared, she is still in her 20s, Ive got a few points, NG postcode which is bad news, she hasnt got full no claims on this policy.
It was actually within a few quid of the cheapest quote we could find, not that it mattered as we didnt have another option for the ring which was the most important aspect of cover to us.

If that is true it would be awesome so long as it applied to UK cars too, as I have a few other cars I would like to drive there at some point but they arent on a policy that covers me there so at the moment we are limited to only using the mrs car there.

Monstrously cheeky of me to ask this when it isnt one of your own services, but I guess it shows how confident I am in greenlight's willingness to be helpful that I am even asking you, but could you find out some more details please if you speak to the guy again? (I will of course give it a google again periodically in the mean time as seems like it would be mentioned online at some point if true, although I cant find it yet)

It was just in a conversion i had previously and i cant remember the customers details. I know he had a Golf GTi but cant rememeber much else.

I'll have a search online though mate and see what i can find.

To be honest i think it makes good sense for the Ring to do their own insurance. Afterall they can limit the cost of damages claimed from themselves as they will be controlling what and how much is claimed.

I have never been to the ring personally but id love to go. It looks amazing if a little scary :)

Neil
Greenlight

Ford Mustang 5.0
Have to say I was a bit shocked to read this, but brilliant to see a positive reply from Greenlight

I have both my cars insured with them, the clio costs less on insurance a year than it does in road tax!! I think that say's a lot.

I've rang them quite a few times (both insurance policies, mid-term adjustment to add my girlfriend to one, and had to ring when some moron smashed my wing mirror off and left me with a lacerated face - FUN!) and every time I ring them they answer quickly and never pressure me to get off the phone like most call centers do.

Usually end up chatting about the track days I'm doing or ring trips. It's great to use a company that actually seem to be car enthusiasts themselves!

Adrian flux made me spend a whole day writing out a mod sheet for the clio - then asked me for £200 more because apparently I hadn't told them about an ECU map over the phone (even though I told them it had an omex 600 - they must assume they map themselves lol) - whereas Greenlight just took my spec off my progress blog on here saving me loads of time.

When renewal comes through in March I certainly won't be going anywhere else :)

Ring cover sounds pretty awesome. Though I do worry that if the track damage was covered by insurance I might push a bit too hard lol

Thanks mate glad you were happy with how we handled everything. This is the standard sort of service we offer, dont think many other insurers would do the above :)

best regards
neil

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It was just in a conversion i had previously and i cant remember the customers details. I know he had a Golf GTi but cant rememeber much else.

I'll have a search online though mate and see what i can find.

To be honest i think it makes good sense for the Ring to do their own insurance. Afterall they can limit the cost of damages claimed from themselves as they will be controlling what and how much is claimed.

I have never been to the ring personally but id love to go. It looks amazing if a little scary :)

Neil
Greenlight

Most of the charges are made up nonsense to rip off foreigners and insurance companies TBH mate, so yes it makes perfect sense to offer their own insurance as they are the only people who can really be competitive.

When I hit the barrier in 2005, they charged me for 32M to be replaced, but they didnt replace ANY of it, I could tell as I was still going back a couple of times a year and could still see the mark I made even years later!

S4 Avant
Never had a bad experience with them in my vast 2 months of cover. I went with greenlight despite getting a cheaper quote from brentacre, partly because of the "unlimited power mods" side of the policy and partly because of Neil's knowledge. He was the only guy that knew what engine was in my car and even which turbo chargers they used.

I have to move house for the first time in 14 years in the next fortnight, so here's hoping the customer service is just as good as the knowledge ;)

Ford Mustang 5.0
Most of the charges are made up nonsense to rip off foreigners and insurance companies TBH mate, so yes it makes perfect sense to offer their own insurance as they are the only people who can really be competitive.

When I hit the barrier in 2005, they charged me for 32M to be replaced, but they didnt replace ANY of it, I could tell as I was still going back a couple of times a year and could still see the mark I made even years later!

Sounds like its run by the Sopranos :rasp:

Never had a bad experience with them in my vast 2 months of cover. I went with greenlight despite getting a cheaper quote from brentacre, partly because of the "unlimited power mods" side of the policy and partly because of Neil's knowledge. He was the only guy that knew what engine was in my car and even which turbo chargers they used.

I have to move house for the first time in 14 years in the next fortnight, so here's hoping the customer service is just as good as the knowledge ;)

Just drop me a PM when you move mate and i'll take care of the address change. Thank you for the kind comments.

I have been into cars since i was a kid (ashamed to say i was a regular maxpower reader). Cars are my passion and its great to work for a car insurance company that allows me to chat to fellow enthusiasts about mods and all things petrolhead :cool:

best regards
neil

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
how the heck can they get away with a charging a bill for replacing something then blatantly not doing it, surely that essentially fraud?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
how the heck can they get away with a charging a bill for replacing something then blatantly not doing it, surely that essentially fraud?

What I am utterly convinced happens is they get a few people to pay for just tiny scuffs that they put into a deliberately low priority position in the queue of work to get done (ie on paper they are fixing it, just havent dont so yet) and then when someone really whacks it and it gets done as a high priority as a result the earlier ones become acedemic and hence pure profit!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
One mans grief another's pride and all that, i'll still be looking to use them if the price is right.

The fact Neil came back to at least explain says a lot to me TBH.

Tangoed Works
After a 2 year stint with flux (having previously used greenlight with the Clio), I have to say they are really transparent and offer amazing price / cover balance. Even offered me protected Ncd at no extra charge compared to flux this year!

Ford Mustang 5.0
What are the requirements to apply for insurance as i know some comapnies wont touch young drivers like me 20 1 years no claims as of next month 1 accident in october 2011?

Hi mate im afraid our minium age is 21. When you do turn 21 definately get in touch and i'll run the quote through for you personally.

After a 2 year stint with flux (having previously used greenlight with the Clio), I have to say they are really transparent and offer amazing price / cover balance. Even offered me protected Ncd at no extra charge compared to flux this year!

Thanks mate that is much appreciated. If you need anything at all or wish to add extra modifications please dont hesitate to PM me directly and i'll take care of it for you personally.

best regards
Neil

Ford Mustang 5.0
One mans grief another's pride and all that, i'll still be looking to use them if the price is right.

The fact Neil came back to at least explain says a lot to me TBH.

Thanks mate. To be honest i think if the only complaint we get on here in a whol year of being on this site is that weren't able to give one member a price I think we are doing really. Even the above could of been rectified with a quick PM.

If you combine this with the numerous positive service reviews in our section http://www.cliosport.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?180-Greenlight dont think we are doing to bad :)