ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Grinding/creaking noise when steering

PH1 172
Standstill or low speeds I can hear this sort of noise when steering now it has got worse as I have just parked the car up in a car park and the steering wheel almost jumps in my hand when I am turning like cog would when missing teeth. For the last week the noise had stopped when I was trying to show a mate but now this. Anybody got any ideas please?

Cheers

mk7 fiesta zs
is the steering heavier than normal - if it is it could be the power steering pump on its way out..
or not enough fluid in the resevoir

PH1 172
Doesn't feel heavier well I havent noticed plus I have a small omp wheel so that will most likely make it feel different. You can hear the steering pump working when out of the car and the resevoir is full.

PH1 172
Been told the lower arms and steering rack are common to fail but which one in my case if it was one, how can I check? I have a jack and axle stands if I can check anything.

PH1 172
Sounds like your cv boot has split. Iv had that problem a few times

Only had my mot done about 3 weeks ago and it passed fine would this and something like my steering rack and lower arms not be picked up on as this problem started before the test?

How can I check the cv boot ad in where is it? Going to get the car up on axle stands today.

Thanks for the replies.

PH1 172
Getting my ball joints replaced after a garage looking at them today. Hopefully this sorts out the problem

Clio MK 4
If u gettin the ball joints replaced then theyl see if it has split or the clip has come undone. It could have just gone a few days after mot

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I am taking mine to have the exact same thing done...

I wasn't 100% certain this was what the problem is,but I am now after this!

How much you pay?

Would try changing ( or greasing )front outer anti roll bar bushes first mate MUCH cheaper Thats what mine was ;) although this is more of a creaking noise when turning steering .

Clio Trophy / RB182
Would try changing ( or greasing )front outer anti roll bar bushes first mate MUCH cheaper Thats what mine was ;) although this is more of a creaking noise when turning steering .

Well this is what was going to get double checked when taken in.

We've had the wheel off and a look around, and yeh,the bush where the anti roll bar joins in does seem to be perished. I've got a part number for it and it's only like £6....

How easy is that to change?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Well this is what was going to get double checked when taken in.

We've had the wheel off and a look around, and yeh,the bush where the anti roll bar joins in does seem to be perished. I've got a part number for it and it's only like £6....

How easy is that to change?

Not that bad mate worth swappin em both for what they cost puzzled me for ages that noise did :mad: LOL

Clio Trophy / RB182
Not that bad mate worth swappin em both for what they cost puzzled me for ages that noise did :mad: LOL

My creaking noise only ever pipes up after i've given the car a little bit of death around the moors and its all warm/expanded!

Will crack on though!

Do you know if it can cause big problems if not sorted asap?

PH1 172
My creaking noise only ever pipes up after i've given the car a little bit of death around the moors and its all warm/expanded!

Will crack on though!

Do you know if it can cause big problems if not sorted asap?

You got those parts cheap mate blimey, mine were £36 for the pair I think it said on the reciept. Worth checking the whole of the lower arm but luckly mine was just the ball joint part and when moved it around it made the same noise as what I was hearing.

The problems you will have is a movement of the wheels, which means unwanted tyre wear and wobbling of other parts to do with that joint, which you don't want.

Clio Trophy / RB182
You got those parts cheap mate blimey, mine were £36 for the pair I think it said on the reciept. Worth checking the whole of the lower arm but luckly mine was just the ball joint part and when moved it around it made the same noise as what I was hearing.

The problems you will have is a movement of the wheels, which means unwanted tyre wear and wobbling of other parts to do with that joint, which you don't want.

Well that's why i am hoping its only the bush that has gone...(hence the cheapness of the part)