ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Grinding noise in 1st and 2nd after replacing driveshaft.

Clio Sport
Hi guys

I recently brought a drivers side drive shaft from J & R drive shafts and couriered it over to Sydney, basically due to there being no parts in Australia and Renault stating it would cost $800 and take 3 weeks to source a new one.

So it took only 4 days to arrive, the garage fitted the part but it makes a real nasty grinding noise from around 3000 rpm in first and second gear. I jacked the car up and cannot see anything loose. I rang J & R and they stated the boots have plenty of grease in them, but he did mention something about make sure a grub screw is tight on the bracket.

My main worry is its the wrong part?! I took pictures of the old shaft and stated it was a 2004 Clio sport so surely I've got the right part?

Ive read a few posts stating the engine mounts could be gone but surely that would have been making that noise before I had the driveshaft fitted?

Before the driveshaft gave up the noise wasn't there - now I have a new shaft and the grinding is there!

I dropping the car off to the garage tomorrow but because the Clio sport is quite rare over here I'm a little worried about him finding the source.

The car drives fine when I drive it normally but as soon as I floor it the nasty grinding noise occurs.

I'm coming back in July for a holiday so at worst I'll buy a new drive shaft from Renault

Any ideas for the garage to check would be really appreciated

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I had this when flooring it, the shaft was knackard. Was the shaft you sourced second hand?

I'd say it's knackard and not been noticed as visually they look OK when these are the symptoms, when I removed mine it was fine.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I bet it's a grinding, sort of like a slipping noise, or like if you rotated an electric drill with a phillips end on it on a hard surface. Like a rotating grind.

Clio Sport
Yeah that's my worst fears that's it no good! It will have to do for the next 7 weeks though till I come home. Where would I buy a new one? Just contact Renault?

Thanks guys

Lionel Richie
JR driveshafts are about 500m from my workshop, the stuff they sell is rubbish! for the clios they HAVE to be genuine (try GKN as they make them for renault)

Lionel Richie
serivce exchange are cira £150 a side, we can post, or my mrs can shove a pair in her suitcase when she flys home to Aus is october ;)

Clio Sport
serivce exchange are cira £150 a side, we can post, or my mrs can shove a pair in her suitcase when she flys home to Aus is october ;)

Thanks for the offer Fred and the advice guys.

Bearing in mind I dont want more hassle the second time round, are the service exchange shafts new?