ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gripper lsd/gearbox rebuild

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Just need a little advice really, just had the box in my 172 rebuilt (new gear set). It has a gripper diff fitted with standard crown wheel, got the box back in the car yesterday and used castrol syntrax 75w 140 lsd oil. Took it out for a drive in the afternoon and there's a crunch in 3rd and a clonking noise when I let off the throttle in each gear.

First off am I using the correct oil as gripper recommended this type and secondly has anyone else experienced clonking before with this particular oil?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Well the oil could be the cause of your crunch, but what stuff was replaced as part of your rebuild? Who did it?

Personally I'd get that oil out of the box asap and run it on the oe oil for the time being. The brass synchros can be attacked by the oil if it's the incorrect stuff.

Last edited:

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Was rebuilt by a local chap called Martin at agency transmissions.

He replaced the pinion shaft, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears, syncro rings, bearings and seals.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Oh and clonking noise will more than likely be the gripper mate. I'm assuming you've not driven a box with a gripper in before? Or has it only just started doing it after the rebuild?

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
I'll get it out after work tomorrow night.

So might be too late as I've done about 20 miles in it?

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Oh and clonking noise will more than likely be the gripper mate. I'm assuming you've not driven a box with a gripper in before? Or has it only just started doing it after the rebuild?

I've had the gripper in for 5 years, only 'clicks' on turning in really slow in 1st gear. Never had the constant clonking before.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'll get it out after work tomorrow night.

So might be too late as I've done about 20 miles in it?
No it shouldn't have caused any lasting issues mate. You just need to get it out asap.

I've had the gripper in for 5 years, only 'clicks' on turning in really slow in 1st gear. Never had the constant clonking before.
Hmmm sounds like there's something a miss there then mate.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I was told to run a oil suited to the box rather than the diff , as a diff running on the wrong oil will last longer than a box on the wrong oil.

In fwd applications you should use the best gear oil for the gearbox not the diff. It's always going to be some kind of compromise but that's just the way it is.

The oil you have used 'castrol syntrax 75w 140' is not suitable for the clio gearbox and will soon turn you syncro rings to cheese! As has been said get it out asap.

I used Castrol B373 a few years ago and the diff worked great but it wrecked my gearbox very quickly.

Best bet is to use the standard gear oil and add a friction modifier if the diff is still noisey.