ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Grp N timing & 197 cams - real life usability

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,
So not wishing to muddy the thread around power charts with this setup. My car is due it’s big service next year. So I’m thinking ahead as to maybe upgrading to 197 cams, machined inlets, Grp N timing and fully mapped.

However I have a question around usability in the real world. My 182 is a weekend toy, not a stripped out track monkey. That said whilst I like the idea of a slight uplift in power, I don’t want to ruin the car. So wondered what real life usability was like? What issues others have found running this set up for a predominantly road car? I’m happy to keep the car ‘as is’ but given I’m on from a chunky bill next year; thought I would consider all other options.

thanks

Russ

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
197 cams and GrpN timing are two different things, just so you know.

GrpN is for stock cams with the intake cam advanced and the exhaust cam retarded.

197 cams it's only (usually) the intake cam which is advanced, usually 7-8 degrees.

In both cases you are moving the power band up, so low down power will be reduced.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
197 cams and GrpN timing are two different things, just so you know.

GrpN is for stock cams with the intake cam advanced and the exhaust cam retarded.

197 cams it's only (usually) the intake cam which is advanced, usually 7-8 degrees.

In both cases you are moving the power band up, so low down power will be reduced.
Thanks I understand that, hence why I said 197 cams and Grp N timing. I also understand that you love the power up the range. Which has a compromised effect low down. But in reality how does this relate to real life use on an occasional car. I’m not hunting power currently, but a smidge more would be welcome. But absolutely not to the detriment of usability or reliability.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks I understand that, hence why I said 197 cams and Grp N timing. I also understand that you love the power up the range. Which has a compromised effect low down. But in reality how does this relate to real life use on an occasional car. I’m not hunting power currently, but a smidge more would be welcome. But absolutely not to the detriment of usability or reliability.

I've not driven GrpN one but I have driven a mates 197 cammed and pistons which made 201bhp and it drives absolutely fine.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Mine is a 197 cammed car.. On the odd occasion that i drive it on the roads. Bored/road testing after breaking it fixing it repeat.. I find that it has no real detrimental effects to driveability. I can see that if its just as a weekend blaster then it'll only add more smiles per miles when you hit the B'roads for some fun.. Just get it done and dont worry about it.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is 8 degrees 197 cams mapped ecu from EFI.
The only negative I’ve found is if it’s not properly warmed up it doesn’t idle very well until warm, it’s cut out on me a couple of times at the lights until it’s warm.
Mine also is just a summer/weekend car so doesn’t get used daily. It noticeably pulls better through the gears, it ran a healthy 189.5bhp a couple of weeks ago definitely a worthwhile upgrade if you are doing the belts etc anyway

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member

In reply to the lower down power feeling compromised, I don’t think I’ve noticed that on mine. It might be my style of driving but I’m either just pootling around so not using power low down anyway or if I’m driving quick I’m going through the gears so I’m up in the Rev range where the power is. I’ve never noticed a compromise in my experience.