ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Grrr Insurance renewal...

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Just got back from work, and received a Insurance Renewal form - as I am due to renew the car insurance on 9th May. But not at all happy with the renewal quote.

Basically this is what I agreed to pay back in 9th May 2005:

Annual Premium: £884.73
Service charge (6.67%): £56.02

Total amount payable: £940.75

Now with the above quote, I thought that was reasonable. Since this was my 1st car, which was brand new when I bought. A year on, now with 1 year no claims - this is the renewal they have offered me, from 9th May 2006:

Annual Premium: £977.49
Service charge (6.67%): £61.90

Total amount payable: £1039.39 :dead:

That is almost a raise of £100!!! Surely this can't be correct? I thought I would be looking at a premium at least £100 cheaper from my premium last year (i.e around £840) :S

I am also 23 y/o, so why is my insurance for a 1.2 16v Clio so dam high?

I guess I am going to have to shop around, right? Or shall I question this with my insurance?

Tips and suggestions would be great lads, and lasses!

Until then.... :sleepy:

Monaco Blue Mk2
Question them and then shop around, never accept a renewal quote. You're getting bum raped if you ask me. I've managed a quote of £1000 ... 18, 1yr NCB, fully comp, yada yada yada. From Virgin Insurance. Google it and get a quote.

SLK 350
Who you with?

Try Bell Direct/Admiral/Elephant (all same umbrella company, but differing prices) then maybe try Direct Line and Tesco, Greenlight (Cliosport disocunt).

Should be cheaper than that, but insurance companies always try it on with renewal quotes because most people do anything for an easy life.

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
I am currently with Quinn-direct...

Irish based company, but it's mayjor customer base is YOUNGER, INEXPERIENCED Drivers.

Last edited:
  Golf GTI 1.8T
^^ that site is good, quick and easy too :)

I did it for me on my car and was about £900 iirc (19, 1NCB, group B postcode)

MK1 - 1.8 8v - RSi
Now then Mitch

I am 25 and only have 1yr NCBand i pay £392 full comp for the yaer and it covers all the mods like for like, thats with Adrian flux, their a broker so they search all for the best deal.

Hope this helps

cutehomoboi said:
Just got back from work, and received a Insurance Renewal form - as I am due to renew the car insurance on 9th May. But not at all happy with the renewal quote.

i seem to remember you having an accident involving another car and going through your insurance?

if so, thats why.

Da

Less
yeah wasn't there an accident involving a car at a junction of some sort ?Even if you claimed off the other party it will still be recorded as a claim, regardless of fault.

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Yes there was an accident, back in November 2005. But if you can remember, i told you that I WON the dispute, and got my excess refunded, and also got my 1 year NO claim. I was also advised, that my Premium would NOT increase. This informatin was emailed to me via a claims manager, so I printed off the email and keep it with my insurance paperwork.

This is why I am going to question this with my insurance...

Golf GTI 1.8T
Even if you have an accident of which you are not at fault, and a claim is made on the other persons insurance.

Normally this will put your insurance up very slightly, madness I know!!

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
M1TCH said:
Even if you have an accident of which you are not at fault, and a claim is made on the other persons insurance.

Well, as I said. This woman at my insurance who was dealing with my dispute, told me that my Premium would NOT increase. I will chase this up withb them later and see what they have got to say...

Mk1 Clio 1.8 16v
M1TCH said:

Thats necessarily the case! Thats a fob-off reason that people like me who work for insurance companies give (only kiddin heehee)

If last year was the first year you had with your company, the chances are they have given you a very large percentage discount from the standard price which has made it lower than usual.
They will have removed that intro-discount this year and as a result your premium has gone up even though you have got a years NCB.
Either that or they are know longer wanting to attract risks like yourself due to a change of strategy and want you out, so they put the price up.
Try confused.com aswell as moneysupermarket.

I wouldnt stay with any company that puts my renewal price up, but then again I dont mind shopping around.

Try Adrian Flux and premium choice for young drivers and modified cars.
I was with quinn direct this year, they are reasonable but when I changed to my 1.8 16V they bum-raped me for £299 for 1.5 months cover!

My best price for my renewal this year at end of april, TPFT, on a Clio 16V with 2.0 Williams conversion, heavily modified is £982 and im 21, with 1 speeding offence and 1 years NCB - thats with adrian flux. I also get breakdown cover included in that price too.

Hope this helps.

Mike

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Ok, I have tried moneysupermarket. Got the follow top 3 quotes:

Easymoney.com car insurance = £699.78
Norwich Union = £779.99
Bradford & Bingley = £793.99
Quinn-Direct (My current insurance!) = £805.50

Hmmm!

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Ok, I just went thru the easymoney.com site, and did a quote on there, and got quoted £633.19, that includes premium tax @ 5%. Not bad eh?

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
*Suggs* said:
Have you tried Tesco?? They were/are the cheapest by a long way for me.

Nope, not yet.

Am really pleased with the quote of £633.19. But will still shop about, as I have got til the 9th of May.

:approve:

Lionel Richie
greenlight quoted me £757

adrianflux (who i was with) said my renewal was £1100

they beat greenlights price!!

£350 off just for shopping around

Astra SRi T
thats too much im 23 too, try the AA, ive got i dynamique 1.2 16v and my insurance is £399 fully comp (2yrs no claims)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I paid 550 last year, my renewal came thro this year and it was £445.

I couldn't find anyone to beat it lol, called Flux back up and said cna they knock anything off and they took anotehr £25 quid off, so only going to be £420 now :)

Was gutted I couldn't find anyone cheaper, or anyone willing to beat their quote. Privilege will beat quotes like on their ads, but when calling them they said they only beat them by a pound!

Nicksie

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 CUP
my renewal came in at £4.20 less than last year, but I was only paying £100 excess, so got it raised to £350 and got £150 knocked off, with Direct Line.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
FredYozzasport said:
greenlight quoted me £757

adrianflux (who i was with) said my renewal was £1100

they beat greenlights price!!

£350 off just for shopping around

757£!! On what the 1.2?

RB 200 Cup!
insurance isa con and you really do have to shop around - hope my renewal (10th May) will be better otherwise Norwich Union can bugger off

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Well I am STILL waiting for Quinn-direct to get back to me with some answers. :mad:

But I have got a question to ask. I see a question asking me have I made any claims in the past so many years. Do I say Yes or No? Because I got my 1 year no claims, plus I have only been driving for a year now.

Also my insurance said this in a email, dated 8th December 2005:

I have reviewed your claim in great depth and would be happy to waive your excess in this instance. Also please be advised that your no claims has not been affected by this so your renewal premium will NOT increase.

As a result we are bearing this loss in total for you.

So how would you take that reply if you were in my shoes?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Depends, did the insurance company claim those costs back from someone else? Sounds like it's a no fault claim, so yes it's a claim but a non fault claim.

Also if they ask if you've has any claims or been involved in any incidents then you have to declare it.

NCB really isn't that at all nowadays, it's just a number to get you a discount, you can thank all this protected ncb lark for that :) Hence I can have x amount of claims a year but still keep full ncb.

DC5
I got my renewal quote through yesterday. It's gone down from £758 to £591. I am well chuffed. That's with protected NCB as well. If I didn't protect it it would be about £500. Not bad for a 22 yr old on a 172 Cup.

RESULT!

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Bezza4 said:
I got my renewal quote through yesterday. It's gone down from £758 to £591. I am well chuffed. That's with protected NCB as well. If I didn't protect it it would be about £500. Not bad for a 22 yr old on a 172 Cup.

RESULT!

Not bad at all boss... :approve:

Maz

LY 200
I have just taken mine with APlan £639 even cheaper than Greenlight .. had a slight problem with all mods not being on paperwork as their system does not cater for more than one mod so I asked for a letter confirming what I had declared and its all sorted .. nice one APlan .. lol :)