ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GT Cup Silverstone Race Report

Turbos.
Over the winter, my old man and i had virtually convinced ourselves we were going to win class in the GT Cup. After all, it was an amateur only series and we'd be in a reliable Honda, what could go wrong?

The first test at Snetterton was a dose of reality. This was still essentially a road car that had been rushed to become a race car and niggly issues soon cropped up.

With our expectations realigned, we arrived at Silverstone last Friday for a test day before the race weekend. We were to use the now 'old' GP circuit. As ever, the team was already there setting up.

P1070558.jpg

P1070520.jpg

P1070518.jpg

We shared the garages with Adrian Newey's toys and a fellow GT Cup team. Cheap crap...

P1070521.jpg

P1070529.jpg

I always like to shake off any nerves ASAP, so i took the first session and once more, started to question my previous confidence. I don't know Silverstone inside out, but confidence wasn't helped with the track now looking like a desert! Braking reference points were non-existant and Abbey was completely different. Also had to remember what all those buttons did...

P1070559.jpg

Talking of brakes, they were shocking. It stopped fine, but there was absolutely no feel. Brake reference points were the last thing on my mind!

So throughout the day, we adjusted settings on the brakes and at least we got to a stage where i got used to them.

P1070523.jpg

P1070536.jpg

On the Saturday, we had practice and then qualifying. It was a very hot day which presented another issue: overheating. Oil temperature was getting bad after just a few laps which meant we had to back off, losing out on precious track time. I was starting to wonder if our flat underfloor, which traps in heat, was a good idea!

P1070535.jpg

P1070525.jpg

Also wasn't impressed by the amount of ballast required for me!

P1070528.jpg

The team started making changes, fiddling with the radiator ducting and even spaced the engine hatch to give some room to breathe.

P1070556.jpg

P1070555.jpg

Just to add another one on the list of moans, my foot kept getting caught on the steering column!

P1070551.jpg

Because of the problems, my dad barely got out. As i was the quickest, i therefore did qualifying. In practice we did alright, did a 2m10s. I took a brave pill and pulled out a 2m07s for qualifying but was dismayed to see my action track position was down from practice. Everyone else had improved too, cnuts. Worse still, the now solved oil temperature issue turned into a water temperature issue!

The team worked into the night to solve the issues...

P1070547.jpg

P1070548.jpg

Some play near the driveshafts revealed a problem, and the pads were replaced to try and improve feel for the race.

P1070544.jpg

P1070546.jpg

Sunday was race day, being two for the GT Cup. My dad took the first race as i was worried he'd have no time in the car if i blew it up! Thanks to F2 being there, we got to see the race as if it was televised live, there was plenty of dicing!

NSXSilverstone3.jpg

Despite the engine warning lights going crazy, we finished the race to it ending a few laps early because of a red flag (Porsche binned it into the new pit wall). My dad also managed to equal my qualifying time and gain a couple of places.

I then had a few hours to wait for my race...which felt like forever.

P1070557.jpg

P1070561.jpg

P1070549.jpg

Seeing people's race pace was somewhat off qualifying times was a little comforting consider we were upto 2 seconds off the class leader (Ferrari 360 Challenge). As over 40 cars barrelled into the first corner though, i was wondering if i was going to make it to the end of the lap!

NSXSilverstone1.jpg

With it only being a 25 minute race, i had to get on it straight away. Starting from the back, i had to get past 8 cars, including the Ferrari, a Z4M, an M3, XBow, Exige, Ginetta and 944 Turbo. I also had to contend with faster cars in other classes that started from the back. It was chaos!

Fortunately, as people were concentrating on their own battles, i started to pick off people one by one. Within two laps i had managed to jump to second class thanks to the Z4M spinning in front of me.

But then disaster, the red lights of doom illuminated the dash! The overheating warnings i had been ignoring were now critical, so i had to pit. Being such a short race, this obviously put us last. Nevertheless, i went out and had some fun with higher classed cars who were lapping me and at least i finished. Some others weren't so lucky, so although i finished last, points were picked up from DNFs. Not so bad...

NSXSilverstone4.jpg

NSXSilverstone2.jpg

I rolled back into the pits with a broken exhaust and clutch. The poor NSX had had enough abuse and was pushed back.

P1070562.jpg

So with aspirations a little more realistic, we're trying to get as much development time in before the next race in May. We also have a slight distraction with the car being displayed at Japfest.

I will leave you with some more shots of Newey & Co's cars...

P1070543.jpg

P1070541.jpg

P1070540.jpg

P1070539.jpg

172 Race Car
Interesting read as always. Sounds like still more ork to do but Im sure you will get there.

Where and when is the race in may?

i was out on the circuit the other week, dustbowl isn't it. not a fan at present but I'm thinking it will be totally different when weathered in.

great report as ever, I hate you and love you at the same time. I mean I cant afford a bucket seat and you are there tanking an NSX about...!11!! lol.

hope the rest of the season goes a little more to plan fella :)

Turbos.
Thanks, hopefully everything will come together over the next couple of races!

To be specific, the next race is May 8th at Brands Hatch GP. Can't wait, back on home turf!

At Japfest we are the only car to do more than it's designated track session, we're doing 8! Tickets are being raffled for a ride with yours truly so if anyone comes along make sure you buy a ticket (for charity)!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Great write as per usual! Unfortunate to get the dash lights, but at least you finished the race!

Turbos.
Yeah. she's not bad!

Thanks Alex. Because of Jeff Leadley's death at Thruxton last week i won't be writing up a report for it. It seems a bit trivial to write about our efforts when someone died :(

What i can say is that things are looking up for the car, in the first race my dad got fastest lap. Brands Hatch is next, so hoping for a result.

This Saturday i am also doing demo runs at JapFest (Castle Combe).