ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GT Turbo conversion

Has anybody ever put a GT Turbo engine in a 16 valve clio before?
What parts would need to be altered, driveshafts etc.
And of course the old power steering, would that need to be junked?
Also, exactly what parts are different on the williams to the 16 valve. I think I read that the only changes were to the shock ratings, front and rear. And 19 16v, longer wishbones, up front, for a wider track. Anything else, and what would the costs be to convert a 16 valve.

I remember reading about a GTT clio in revs once but not sure when 16 valve into a Standard, £1000 from a breakers if you want to do all the work yourself but its quite involve and you need to change the wireing loom etc. as for from a garage your probly talking 2-4 thousand

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Ive seen an article in an issue of Performance GTi Mag, where they converted a 1.4RT and kitted it out with GT Turbo running gear.

The company that did it are called Torsion Tuning - Tel: 07951 021672 but they had some help from Andy at BB Tuning according to the article.

Costs between £2000 & £3000 apparently, varying depending on just exactly what you want doing.

Quite a lot of work involved though and not summat you could just have a go at...

Best give them a call mate.

I know the guys that do the conversion and all the set prices. They have a 16v there ready for a conversion just need a donour car as they sold the engine and gearbox out of it. If you want all the details etc email Johnst101@hotmail.com I give you there numbers and a breif run down on it

mk2 172

the willy definately does not have 19 16v wishbones, possibly there similar in length, but that is where it ends

Craggy, you sure?
Ive spoken with various people about this, and one in particular who builds the 16 valve and williams clio cup racers. And he they dffo use 19 16 valve lower wishbones.
Lets face it, renault were hardly going to go to the trouble of developing, and manufacturing tooling, to make wishbones, for an intended production run of 500 cars.
Try this link, its an article underlining all the changes.
http://www.cliosport.net/articles/williams-2.asp

mk2 172

ive read that before mate and been in the unfortunate position of havin to buy willy wishbones from reno as i couldnt find them off a scrappy anywhere, so i checked the part numbers off renault so see if i could fit some off a 19 16v (didnt tell reno i was doin this) and they came back with a different part number. the difference between the clio 16v and williams wishbones is quite a big length difference and the anti roll bar mounts completelt different, maybe its the roll bar thats mounts different on the 19, or just maybe my local reno guys are dumb f***s!, your probably best off checkin with your dealer mate.

craggy

ps i have both of the clio variants of wishbone in my garage but no 19 to check it against

Craggy, do you remember how much the willy wishbones were from Renault, and is the subframe the same as the 16 valve.
Im planning to upgrade a 16 valve to williams spec, what other parts are needed?
Is renault the only place specific williams parts can be brought from?

mk2 172

sorry mate but the subframe is different, and its about 350+ vat from reno, the wishbones are 52+vat, think the only thing thats the same on them in that area is the hubs, suspension legs, springs, the lot is different. and willy bits are top dollar, lots of rip off scrappys charge three times as much as a 16v bit for a willy and its sickening.iv had to buy a subframe before for mine and it broke the bank let me tell you. im not sure about the anti roll bar. hope this helps. id stick with your current 16v setup mate, a sorted 16v is just fine. plus i think the willy chassis is tweaked slightly with things you prob couldnt do to a valver???

craggy