ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gunk in Oil filler cap

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
I know there are a few threads about this already but im a bit concerned my head gasket is on its way out.

Changing the oil today and found gunk round the inside of the oil filler cap.

I never had this problem before but I do a lot of stop start driving now and hardly any motorway miles like I used to.

Anything to worry about?

CTR--VX220D
The dreaded HGF. Is it like mayo - creamy gunk?

Have a look in your coolant tank it should have an oily film or yet more gunk in it.

Is it overheating?

Does it blow steam through the exhaust?

Its normal on the 1.2's they suffer loads from it not a problem.

Try some long drives get the engine hot should clear it up.

Its a good way of getting some money off when you go to buy one though.

See the mayo and people if they ask round get the answer head gasgets going so sell the car on. You turn up say its gone offer them less money and your fine.

CB600FS
Common for the urban 1.2s that do constant stop/start journeys & don't do many motorway runs.

Not headgasket gone, nothing to worry about

CTR--VX220D
How can you be so sure? the gunk is from oil and water mixing.

If I was the owner I would get a sniffer done to be sure.

1.2 16v Dynamique.
Just sounds like condensation to me. Common this time of year. When you drained the oil and took the old filter off it should have just looked like dirty black oil. If it was like mayo or emulsion paint then you have a problem. As long as its not the latter and you have not been loosing any water from the header tank it will just be condensation and a good long run will sort that.

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
Thanks for the replies, just managed to get back online to check.

The gunge is a creamy colour. And I have only noticed the problem since I have started doing a lot of start/stop driving (moved closer to work so I drive through town rather than 35 mile motorway trip to work).

When I took the oil filter off it looked fine - dirty black oil as I expected.

Car never overheats, no gunk in collant tank and nothing abnormal coming out exhaust.

Only symtom I notice is the idle is a bit erratic and lumpy sometimes when its cold and damp but its not a big issue.

Clio 172 mk2
Doesn't sound like HG

Keep an eye on the levels though....that's the a good indication your water is going somewhere else than where it should do .

1.2 16v Dynamique.
sounds like its ok then :) and the level has never dropped in the header tank either? condensation is common this time of year especially with short, start, stop runs. good excuse to give her a long run out somewhere!

mine is always filled with black oil. round the filler cap is covered in it too, thats coz i missed the cap when filling up once tho lol

Leon Cupra R 225
This is a common prob on the 1.2s as others have said, I had a Mk2 1.2 for 2 years and it was always a bit gunky, but it was used for short journeys where it never really had a chance to warm up.

Lionel Richie
100% normal believe it or not, its due to the plastic rocker cover allowing excess condesation/moisture in

CTR--VX220D
Bloody Renaults!

I thought all the jokes about 'Its French'!! was over the top - however I am starting to think not! lol

This happens alot on my mums 1.0 polo.

Its never the head gasket, mainly as she pootles a few miles here and there, never really gets driven for ages

CB600FS
How can you be so sure? the gunk is from oil and water mixing.

If I was the owner I would get a sniffer done to be sure.

Yeah as Fred has said its only very slight water from condensation, nothing to worry about atall - common as. Most 1.2s never see the motorway, stop start journeys and never get a good hammering.

Clio Sport 1.2 16V
Thanks for the advice guys.

Sounds like its just my driving habits have changed in the last few months since I moved house and the car is reacting.

Glad its nothing serious:approve: