ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gutted... A rasta smashed up my clio

Was in Newcastle last week and had to reverse down a busy road to allow an on coming driver (female clio driver) by as there were parked cars on either side of the road. Any how this van started reversing from a side street and i I only spotted him at the last minute. I managed to push it into 1st gear to try get out his way but didnt do it quick enough. Ended up with a cracked rear bumper, dent in the boot and smashed brake light. The rear drivers side wheel arch/protector (whatever its called) was ripped out too to as its attached the bumper which he almost pulled completely off as he hadnt even noticed he'd hit me and kept on reversing. Any how once he'd realise he'd hit me this rastapharian (donna how to spell) jumped out and started saying it my fault and i'd hit him... t**t!

Cars been in the repair centre for a couple of days and the insurance companys told me its £1,500 repair job. Im fully comp with a £200 excess but this f@@ker saying its my fault so i duno who'll end up getting screwed. Probably both of us or just me knowing my luck.

Oh not a single scratch on his R reg'd hump of sh!t of a van. And the clio drive i was reversing for (to let passed) said she hand really seen what happend but she did see us both reversing! The rasta ran into the resaurnt he'd just made a delivery to and brought out a cheif whos obviously didnt seen any of this but looks like he was agreeing to be a witness for him!

GUTTED!

Someone at work rasied a point this morning, that your not suppose to reverse from a minor road to a major road... reckon this will do owt for me if i get onto my insurance company?

Re the 'not supposed to reverse from a minor road into a major road' thing. This is correct, and if I was you, I would use anything to help my case if I know it wasn't my fault.

Renault clio RSi 1.6 16v
The other month an idiot ran into me. I was turning left into a carpark on a perfectly straight road and he hit me from behind, so admitted liability at the time and then got all s@@tty with me after I called my insurance and tried to blame it on me!
I won the case in the end, my car was a right off!

I drew a map of the general accident area and where my car and his car was when I got hit and the direction of our travel.
I took a photo of the road and where I got hit. My insurance company said that anything like this improoves your case and thus; I won!!!
Your mate is right basically he ran into you, the photos from the bodyshop (or you take some) will show how your vehicle was hit also showing him at fault.
Your witness saying he was reversing is good enough, basically he souldnt really reverse a van onto a public highway unless he has someone watching him back.
The van man sounds like a pr**k, the guy who ran into me was a well spoken old man and even he tried it on, most do when they know they are at fault, maybe the rasta aint insured.

RenaultSport Clio 182
^^ Actually this is not entirely true:

From Police Website:

Q: Is it illegal to reverse a car onto a main road from a minor road?

A:
It is not illegal to reverse into a main road but it is not advisable. This is for safety reasons. The main road is likely to be very busy and there will be an increased chance of a collision due to the presence of more cars on the road. If an accident occurred due to you reversing onto a main road from a minor road then there may be the possibility of you being prosecuted for driving without due care and attention.

You definitely have a case!

Clio Dynamique 1.6 16v
Threaten him with legal action take him all the way, pisses me off thats his fault for not looking.

Also If you threaten legal action you should be able to win simply because he will have spent all of his money on ganja, and therefore cant afford a lawyer.

Trophy No. 440
ClarkyClio said:
Threaten him with legal action take him all the way, pisses me off thats his fault for not looking.

Also If you threaten legal action you should be able to win simply because he will have spent all of his money on ganja, and therefore cant afford a lawyer.

He'd probably get legal aid (in other words you and I will end up paying his lawyer through our taxes) :S

I had someone reverse into the main road infront of me, I went straight into the back of her! Insurance went in my favour. But your situation is slightly different as you were both reversing.

Good luck with it mate.

1.9 Diesel RT
Shouldn't they be able to tell who's fault it would be through the damage on both vehicles. I mean, if there isn't any damage done to his van, but there's damage to the back end of your's, and in a pattern that would correspond, surely that would mean something??

But anyway, good luck with it. Hopefully it'll turn out in your favour!

Civic Type -R FN2
Exact same thing happened to me in cardiff, guy started saying it was my fault instantly so i started shouting at him and explaining to him piece by piece why it was his fault he was having non of it. The only way you can sort it out is when the innsurance send you a letter to write your side of the story on, make it so clear that it was his fault to be reversing onto a road like that, and that he shouldnt of passed his test if he cannot learn to look in his mirrors, and that if they have any more problems then you will be happy to apear in court.

I also drew a picture to show what happend, they got back to me within a week and said the opposition had taken full responsibility :)

I was going forward though so not quiet the same but same damage and same sort of moron of a driver ( in the van ) :)

182 + Cup
Leave the immigration stuff at home and play the system properly!

Didn't the other Clio driver act as a witness? Did you get her phone number? Was she fit? (ignore that bit...).

I got hit last year by a bloke who had turned around to talk to his son in the back seat!! Luckily the driver behind him saw the whole thing and took pictures on his camera phone. That is a lesson for all of us; Get witnesses, take pictures, call the cops if need be. Without evidence or witnesses there's nothing to stop these w*nkers from claiming against you and it ends with the insurance company treating it as 'knock for knock'.

Hope you get it sorted.

well i completed the insurance form and ticked the box to say i felt the 3rd party was to blame for the accident... time will tell.

thanks for the advise ppl, i took some pictures of the steet to go with my diagram/form so hopefully it will help my case. the bird in the clio gave me her details but she said she hadnt really seen what happend, she just knew we where both reversing. oh and she was fit, late 20's (i feel a stalker case coming on ;)

the repair centre called to say my cars already fixed... it only took them 5 days! taking the postman-pat curtesy car (micra sport - ugly car and horribale to drive) back tomorrow and will get my car back! ill not be impressed if you can tell parts have been replaced!

oh... and the number of people that have called me asking if i was injured is riddiculour. tell me to have a think about even if i feel no pain at the moment... i was stationay and he was move at 5mph!!! hardly a whip lash case.

saying that if u see a rasta in newcastle wearing a kneck brace slap him!