ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GUTTED

Clio 182
Collected my first 182 clio yeaterday
had a miss so put it in garage this morning, just had a call and its down on compression on number 2.
been told motor would likely need to be removed and either way a hefty bill.
do I have any options???
worth brraking the car for parts?
cant afford a big bill so gutted wanted one of these for ages

Nissan 350z
Surely if you just collected the car yesterday you have the grounds to return it to where you bought it? Have the garage write a report of what is wrong and go back to the place you bought it from with their findings, demand a refund or contribution.

Clio 182
Yes private sale.
tbh it sounded a little lumpy on idle, i thought they were prone to it, combine that with performance exhaust exhaust being fairly loud and what seemed like a trust worthy guy.
I bought it in the middle of Edinburgh so when he took me out in it just a steady drive seemed ok.

anyway we did the deal at a fair price and then on my way home i couldnt even pull 100mph am thinking hell this is slow.
out it in garage was hoping a miss from ignition coil or the likes but just had the call with bad news.
im no mechanic so go easy guys but what would you do??

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  TTS
I would personally start by going back to the guy you bought it from, although it was a private sale if he is a sound guy he might just give you your money back.

Clio 182
Im in talks with him now his father was even a mechanic he said. One thing I meant to add was the engine management light was on which he said was to do with him refitting the cat for mot. Not sure if thats the case or not.
my mechanic has also said the inlet manifold bolts were sheered and loose which would suggest someone knew fine what was going on

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  TTS
He's properly blagged you by the sounds of it. I hope for your sake he is a half decent person and you get your money back though, although going by what he has already done this seems unlikely.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
If he has told you the car is in working order then you can take him through small claims and get your money back.

He has to give you a list of faults with the car i believe.

I think anyway. Look into it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I dont and probably never will sell anything on ebay, but do you have to list every fault?

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd be very surprised if you have any comebacks at all. All you can hope for is him to have a Heart and offer you some money back.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
You'll just have to hope he's a tidy guy. Otherwise it's probably 'sold as seen' and it's your word against his.He could just say it was fine when you bought it, and you could have just hammered the car all the way home, and it doesn't help that you've mentioned trying to do 100mph

Volvo XC60 T8
If the guy selling the car posted this, everyone would be on here telling the guy that bought it to do one, sold as seen etc.

You'll likely have to just accept you bought a broken car.

Clio 182
If the guy selling the car posted this, everyone would be on here telling the guy that bought it to do one, sold as seen etc.

You'll likely have to just accept you bought a broken car.

Thanks for your heart felt reply.
still in talks with the guy at the moment so will update the outcome.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Buyer beware basically. I doubt you can prove the previous owner knew about the problem so very little you can do.

Has the garage actually done any diagnostics to try and pinpoint the problem or just told you 'compression is low, scrap the lump'.

Have they given any compression readings etc, could be rings, valves, cracked head etc etc. It could be a relatively cheap to fix, it could be expensive as it all depends on the actual reason for low compression.

Clio 182
They tried, coil, plugs and then they obviously looked and can see that the inlet has been messed with. All cylinders were I think 200psi he said or arouns that but number 2 was below 100, said there looked to be some oil around so could be a ring.
to be honest if I was offered a good price I will just sell it or if anyone can help close by to have the work done? He though motor would need to be removed to get a proper look in there and repair it and a very very rough figure of £800-£900 was mentioned

Clio 172 Flamer
They tried, coil, plugs and then they obviously looked and can see that the inlet has been messed with. All cylinders were I think 200psi he said or arouns that but number 2 was below 100, said there looked to be some oil around so could be a ring.
to be honest if I was offered a good price I will just sell it or if anyone can help close by to have the work done? He though motor would need to be removed to get a proper look in there and repair it and a very very rough figure of £800-£900 was mentioned

Get a loan, maybe from a relative, bite the bullet, get it fixed and you will be happy :D

Sucks to start with (cost wise) but I can't imagine the guy is going to say 'ye no problem, let me take that back'

Sounds blunt but private sales, you are always at this risk unfortunately, as earlier mention 'sold as seen' will probs be the response.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Does anyone actually know the law regarding this?

Iirc theres no such thing as ' sold as seen' and if this car wasnt running right and he has told you its due to something else then im pretty sure you can go through trading standards and a small claims court. Seriously phone them, tell them the story with all the details and they will tell you if you can do anything. For the sake of a 10 minute phone call id say its worth it.

I had trouble with a 106 gti i bought and the boy never told me it was rotten in places, yes i should have checked properly but i never, and even then if i had bothered then i could have taken him to court as he knew about it but never told me.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My law he is liable IF he knew there were faults with the car AND you can prove that.

If you cant prove he lied about it, then you dont have a leg to stand on as for private sales the rules are different to for trader sales where it has to be not just honestly described but also fit for purpose.

So sadly I think he has tucked you up.

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
So you bought a car with the engine management light on that sounded rough. You haven't mentioned how much you paid for the car. Cheap perhaps?

You bought private for cheaper so have to take the risks attached

Expensive and harsh lesson for the future

S4 Avant
What's all this talk of claiming back off the guy, or small claims courts?

The guy sold you a car, it broke in your ownership, if you didn't spot anything was up when you viewed it, no sympathy. If in future you want the assurance of a warranty or customer rights, buy from a garage.

dan's cast offs.
dodgy injector can give you a low compression reading, get a leakdown test done and check the injectors.
what did the garage say about the management light being on?

A SHED!
Doing 100mph and you say the manifold bolts have blown.....Too many fnf quotes to put here....Anyway take it back to the seller, tell him... "pop the hood"

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
dodgy injector can give you a low compression reading, get a leakdown test done and check the injectors.
what did the garage say about the management light being on?

How can a dodgy injector give you a low compression reading on an F4R engine given that the injectors are in the inlet manifold!!??

The sales of goods act on private sales, i would think if he told you about the misfire then it was as described i think you're a little stuck.

The act covers second-hand items and sales. But if you buy privately your only entitlement to your money back is if the goods aren't 'as described'.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Collected my first 182 clio yeaterday
had a miss so put it in garage this morning, just had a call and its down on compression on number 2.
been told motor would likely need to be removed and either way a hefty bill.
do I have any options???
worth brraking the car for parts?
cant afford a big bill so gutted wanted one of these for ages
Was this a Liquid Yellow 182? There was a dodgy one doing the rounds in Edinburgh.

Any info about the car or seller?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That one is easily spotted as dodgy, its plate pretty much says "VOSA FFS" as someone pointed out in one of the trheads about it, lol

VO54 FFZ

So you bought a car with the engine management light on that sounded rough. You haven't mentioned how much you paid for the car. Cheap perhaps?

You bought private for cheaper so have to take the risks attached

Expensive and harsh lesson for the future

Brooky.

Your profile picture is awesome. Gold star for you.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 52