ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had my timing belt done yesterday now cars cutting out.

triumph dayton 650
Had my timing belt and tensioners done yesterday and now the car is cutting out and when you hold the revs at 1500rpm it hunts between 1000rpm and 1500 rpm.
Does it sound to anyone as if the timing is out.The car still has a good bit of power and does pull well after 5k.Taking it back today but just wondered wh.at you guys thought

Take it back. I wouldn't run the engine until the garage have seen it.

Unless they find something obvious you have to insist they re-check the timing, which takes about an hour and you'll need new cam blanking seals.

Have they done them on the clio sport before?

275 Trophy
Timing was out on my car for 5 years before I bought it. Symptoms similar to what you're describing.

triumph dayton 650
Yes it was the same guy that did my girlfriends clio 172 cup about two years ago he is a really good mechanic and loads of peope round my way put there car into his garage.
He has been fixing my cars for years.

triumph dayton 650
not sure mate will ask him when i take it down today don't think it can be anything else other than timing out.

triumph dayton 650
Just off the phone to take it down at 12 and he wil have a good look over only drove it a mile home so hope everything is fine.

S4 Avant
If he's not got the Renault locking tools, it'll still be out after he's looked at it again.

Take it to Dan at 519 automotive ;) he did a good job on mine the other week

You should be able to tell if he used the cam locking tool (the horse shoe one) by whether there are new seals at the ends of the cams on the gearbox side of the engine. Can see them without removing anything.

triumph dayton 650
Rite took it back down and the timing did appear to be out one tooth, he doesn't know how it happened but its all fixed now and car is back to normal or as normal as they get as they all have there little quirks.

If it was out "a tooth" I doubt he has used the tools as that can't really happen if the cams are locked in position. I'd guess he marked the pulleys and then tried to line them back up but missed, that way you can easily get a tooth out.

Glad it's sorted, fingers crossed it stays that way.

triumph dayton 650
Yeh i had the same thoughts mark. do you think i would be better off sending it to get the timing checked by someone with the tools?