ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Halfords socket sets

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
I know a good few people rave about these and everytime there's someone with a discount code / trade discount offer.

What's the best one for general work on a bike? And does anyone have a best cash price for them?

Cheers

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
If you wait for the deal the 150 piece set is usually reduced to around £99-100.

It’s a brilliant kit, especially with the life time warranty too. I’ve just kept my receipts under my screw driver set, it’s safe under there and always to hand if I snap something.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I’ve had mine for about 5 years now maybe more. Haven’t damaged a thing and I use them weekly. It’s a great kit. The 150 piece is the one I’ve got

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
How much are the 200 piece ones?

I have a spare unopened 200 piece laying about that you could have for bit of a saving over new

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
With bank holiday coming up, the sets are normally discounted.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
The halfords tools are great. After having all my good gear robbed from my old lockup a few years ago, its all ive used with no issues, solid and reliable.

dan's cast offs.
dropped a ratchet spanner first time i used it and it fell apart, torx bits not the best either.

they're ok at best. wera are pretty good and do some well thought through sets.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
dropped a ratchet spanner first time i used it and it fell apart, torx bits not the best either.

I hit my ratchets with hammers, extend them with bars putting a serious amount of pressure through them and they’ve not missed a beat. Quite surprised at your claim. I even drove over one of the ratchets with no I’ll effects

dan's cast offs.
have a mooch through their stuff, the sockets and bit drivers that hold a nut/bolt etc is a brilliant idea.

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the responses everyone, popped down to my local Halfords yesterday and blagged a trade card. Will see what happens over the bank holiday and pick something up.

Tarby, PM me which set it is you you have and how much you want for it please.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Thanks for the responses everyone, popped down to my local Halfords yesterday and blagged a trade card. Will see what happens over the bank holiday and pick something up.

Tarby, PM me which set it is you you have and how much you want for it please.

If there is promotions on you will either get trade price or promotion price. Cant get trade on promotions. Often the promotion price is near enough the trade price

When they do the free screwdriver sets with 5l of oil etc, you either pay full price and get thr screwdrivers or pay trade price for oil and no screwdrivers. Cant get both unfortunately

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
If there is promotions on you will either get trade price or promotion price. Cant get trade on promotions. Often the promotion price is near enough the trade price

When they do the free screwdriver sets with 5l of oil etc, you either pay full price and get thr screwdrivers or pay trade price for oil and no screwdrivers. Cant get both unfortunately
I thought as much, just wanted to see what the offer prices were over bank holiday before I bought one on the trade card.

Clio 172 ph1
Had a Halfords set for years (possibly 10 years)..... only thing that has ever let it down is me losing stuff!

Looking out for a new kit when they are on sale

182FF - Land Rover
My stuff working well for the money.

If you have no real kit, get by somehow until the half price big kit comes up again. That's why you see so many new items on Ebay, broken up kits, bought on a deal.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo

I was belting my 13mm ratchet spanner with a hammer the other day to shock a bolt off, took the abuse no bother, so would say they are pretty decent. Its about worn out as had it ten years or so, i think its due a claim on the warranty:LOL:

The only thing i have broken is the early design 24” long 1/2” breaker bar. Both times i had a scaff pole on the end as a torque multiplier so no shock that it give way. It was as strong as the snap on one i broke abusing the same way. They changed the design of the knuckle and the new ones are alright.

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've been using Halfords spanners and sockets for so long so me of the posters on this thread were probably still in nappies!. I've subjected them to all sorts of abuse including the usual 'pipe' extension on a ratchet without failure.

I also have one of their cabinets which has proved just as good.

As other posters have said just wait for the special offers. If you have a Motorsport UK competition licences you get an extra 10% off virtually everything at Halfords.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If you wait for the deal the 150 piece set is usually reduced to around £99-100.

It’s a brilliant kit, especially with the life time warranty too. I’ve just kept my receipts under my screw driver set, it’s safe under there and always to hand if I snap something.
Take photos of them on your phone, all the ink eventually faded on mine, so now I just use the pics

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I didn't need the receipt on the weekend when i returned a broken T20 torx bit.

Lasted well that bit too, eventually the impact gun killed it 😅

B-shaw557

ClioSport Club Member
Never needed a receipt to swap something before.
All the kits are new now, got a fair few cool bits that they didn't before.
Debating buying one just to take on trackdays so I'm not left begging for tools like last weekend 😂

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
The 3/8 and 1/2 sockets are now 6 point rather than 12 which was the only thing I could ever knock them on before, mine are all used in a scrap yard environment and get serious abuse, the only thing I've had fail is a 3/8 breaker bar that I slid a tube over and the odd torx socket.
For the price on trade card they're unbeatable and the fact that you can go to any halfords and just get a replacement is a massive advantage as I had a period where there was no MAC dealer in my area for 3 years.

Clio 197

I thought that too until recently they had a castrol oil offer on (4L £17.50) got the promotion price plus a little bit extra off for trade (£16.33 each)

Got the 150 socket set and like others can fault it, dont need a receipt to change anything broken either - just take the old one in store. The only thing that has broken which they wont replace is the plastic moulded case - it not longer has the locking parts so an old belt does the trick.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Maybe changed then or depends on whos working. Always worth a try anyway!
I found the same with the case, everything else outlived it. I found the plastic hinge at the back went eventually and split completely then I just decanted it into my toolbox

Clio200 EDC Lux
I use some halfords advance tools daily as well as snap-on. Can't fault them really and as said no issues getting tools replaced even without a receipt.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I've got the big Halfords industrial roll cab filled with Halfords tools, never had to return anything.

I've got my old 200? Piece kit that I use for the real shite messy jobs to save using my good stuff and it's spot on, I've had massive bars on the ratchet to lever on them, jumped up and down on them etc!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
What money did people pay for the advanced 200 set? currently £260 but I'm sure Ive seen it cheaper.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Anyone close to Stoke, I've got an unopened spare 170 piece set they can have for £100.
Collected obviously. Can't be arsed posting sorry

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Yeah the new 200 kit has changed a fair bit from the previous.

Bigger breaker bar is one thing i've noticed.