ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handbrake Cables

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
The o/s handbrake cable has just snapped on the 172 :( The day before it is supposed to be going in for the M.O.T.

When I searched on here, a few threads ended up suggesting going to the Dealers because non genuine ones often didn't fit.

Tried ringing the dealers but they are shut. Phoned my local motorfactors and they can get me some for tomorrow.

Normally i'd just wait and get some from the dealers if I was in any doubt, but I stupidly forgot the M.O.T. was due on the 7th of this month so was wanting to get it done quickly.

Surely there has to be some people that have successfully used non dealer cables?? Are they worth bothering with, or should I just send my girlfriend out in my car until I can get some genuine ones?

Fabia vrs tdi
What price did u get quoted ? One of mines has snapped but donno how much it might be supplied and fitted :(

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
They were about £17 each supply only, will be fitting them myself.

I just had to order a pair as they shut at 18:30 and I wasn't sure if they'd come tomorrow if I ordered tomorrow (although if I rang first thing, they'd probably still come ok but was a little flustered).

If they don't fit I will just return them, but hoping I will still be able to still make the M.O.T. if they fit.

Fabia vrs tdi
Post up if they fit and the contact details for this place so I can order up a pair. will need to pay someone to fit them though

BG182FF
hey mate, the garage tried loads of different cables on mine and non of them fitted. but never tried one from motorfactors. ended going to renault to buy one and are only 23 each. fitting is about half hour as it pulls out and new one goes in, quite easy really

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Well, I had nothing to lose (other than time) as I forgot to ring the dealers on Saturday, so I tried the ones from the local motorfactors...............they will be going back tomorrow and I will be getting my money back as they are too short (yes, I should have just listened to the above posts).

Got to order a set from the dealers and my girlfriend is using our other car for now. Clio is currently stuck in the garage awaiting two new tyres and new handbrake cables.

It looks sad sat in there with two motorbikes.

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Just phoned Renault (Durham) up and they want £70 for a pair. Most of the threads I have read suggest around the £23 mentioned above, WTF????

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Phoned another dealer and they quoted a little more. Could be time to just put my hand in my pocket.

BG182FF
try west renaults on here cos thats where i got mine from for 23 quid (drivers side only) and he even sent out the next day when he ordered it in stock! shouldnt take more than an hour to fit both really or can even do them yourself

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Started a thread asking for a price, thanks.

I am happy to fit them myself, I just need the right ones at a fair price first.

BG182FF
sure they will sort you out, i only ordered mine about a month ago and was only 23 quid delivered

I had the same issue - it snapped a week before the MOT

The garage I use ordere 4 non OEM ones and they didnt fit, you have to get them from Renault - they arnt too dear though, although I had to wait 2 weeks for them to get one in stock!!

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
Thanks again for the replies, hopefully I am sorted now, well, I will be when I pay Wests Renault :).